cooking with protein powder

Options
So i made pancakes today 1 egg 1 egg white and 1 scoop powder and they still dont taste right its to gritty and dense anyone have stuff to add to make it better

Replies

• ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The Protein Pow website has lots of good recipes. My sister likes The Protein Chef but I have never made any of his things.

If you check out the Protein Pow site try to choose one of her recipes with less egg white if you want a more traditional pancake texture but there are lots of good ones to choose from there.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    honestly don't bother, have a proper pancake and a protein shake.

Some recipes just don't suit having protein powder added to them it's more hassle that it's worth
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    It also depends on the protein powder. Some are more griddy and don't mix as well as others.
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If its too thick, add more water/milk. As for the texture, some powders are smoother than others. I've heard you can also use banana as a binder. Good luck and have fun experimenting!
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I eat pancakes every day. I use 3 servings of egg whites, 1 egg and 20 grams of powder. I also put peanut butter on them and ~20 cals of syrup, so around 300 cals and fairly filling, and I love them. They're not going to be EXACTLY like pancakes, because they're not, but maybe try adjusting your ingredients? With the 15g of peanut butter it feels like I'm cheating every time I eat them and the only carbs are the syrup.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Try these

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/991227/ultimate-protein-pancakes-omg/p1

They are good, but dry if you don't use fruit.

Otherwise, yeah, most of my attempts at trying recipes with protein powder, no matter how 'delicious' people claim they are, haven't turned out too well.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Look for a protein pancake recipe with cottage cheese and egg whites instead of protein powder.
  • amoynoodle
    amoynoodle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think your proportions are off. Whenever i make protein pancakes i use 4 egg whites to one scoop. Also, add a little milk too. Then i whiz the *kitten* out of it in a blender or magic bullet or something for a couple of minutes to give the protein powder time to dissolve. Then they are NOM. I top them with greek yog and frozen berries.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,153 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hendrix7 wrote: »

Some recipes just don't suit having protein powder added to them it's more hassle that it's worth

This is the route I went after making them the other way. I found that the brand of powder I used made a lot of difference. Some are rubbery, some aren't. Also, if you don't buy the ready-mix of protein pancakes, you can add a little good fats to your mix. Someone suggested bananas. In addition, you could use a heart-healthy oil of your choice, unsweetened applesauce or even baby food (1 four ounce pack of banana, or berry or whatever). Those little packs add a nice moisture to things like protein bars too.

Edit - Yes, blending either with a hand-held or Nutri-bullet style device helps a lot too.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options

My protein powder works great in shakes & even a pie but FORGET pancakes! Ive tried a zillion recipes and every one of the claimed that the pancakes came out so good that you'd swear you were eating a cheat meal. Yeah right. Total disaster everytime. Flat, lifeless, odd taste, etc, etc. YUK!

Just eat pancakes made using a high-quality mix from a brand like Bobs Red Mill or Arrowhead Mills. Both have a Buckwheat mix and a Multigrain mix that have decent "numbers" and taste freegin awesome. They have solid protein numbers too & low sugar. Use real fruit topping and stay away from "bad" toppings and you'll be fine. Arrowhead Mills makes an Oat Bran based pancake mix that has the lowest carb per serving Ive found for "real" pancakes. 21g of carbs and 6g of fiber. Thats awesome for a pancake and they taste terrific & are fluffly like real pancakes. Simple to make too.

The only negative Ive seen with any of these mixes is that are pretty high sodium but I dont care about that at all personally. Otherwise, sure, they have carbs but thats OK...carbs wont kill you, especially in the morning. I eat pancakes 4-5 times a week(a generous pile of them) and have zero issues with weight control. Jst stay the course the rest of the day and keep your workouts up. You'll be fine!

protein powder + pancake recipes = FAIL! :)

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

Lol srs, just eat some good, regular food, then supplement with a protein shake to hit your macros. No reason to add protein powder into everything and ruin your food.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    It also depends on the protein powder. Some are more griddy and don't mix as well as others.

This.

I use Trutein and it makes decent pancakes. They're not fluffy like real ones though; more crepe-like.

1 scoop powder
    3 oz. plain greek yogurt
    2 whole eggs
    2 egg whites

Makes a good amount too.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I make mine with regular Bisquick and protein powder and protein plus milk:

2/3 cup Bisquick
    1 scoop MetRx Protein Plus
    1 egg
    1 cup Lucerne protein plus 2% milk.

700, calories for the whole batch, 48g protein. Top with whatever you like - I actually like the Walden's Sugar Free Syrup. It's the only one that I can stand (and the only product of theirs I can stand).
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I had similar experiences with adding protein powder to just about every recipe I tried, so now I use greek yoghurt as a way to add more protein. This is my favourite protein pancake recipe, I make it a batch at least once a week: http://www.veggiesbycandlelight.com/whole-wheat-greek-yogurt-pancakes/ (it has 13.5g protein per portion, all the nutritional information is on the recipe)
  • stephanieirenebell
    stephanieirenebell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love protien pancakes! 6 egg whites, 1 cup uncooked oats, 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 scoop protien powder, 1tbs vanilla, 1tsp cinnamon --- put them in the blender until smooth and fry them up like a normal pancake! Even my 3 yr old was them! And I have had nothing but good reviews for anyone who has tried them!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    I just use Trutein Cinnabun protein powder and almond milk. No eggs or anything. (Blueberries sometimes.) I just mix them together until the consistency seems right. Freakin' delicious!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    kikichewie wrote: »
    Look for a protein pancake recipe with cottage cheese and egg whites instead of protein powder.

I like these https://www.eatthismuch.com/recipe/view/oatmeal-cottage-cheese-pancakes,39211/
  • moltobella
    moltobella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've found that plant proteins blend better than whey in baking recipes (which is all a pancake is. baked in a pan). Plant Fusion unflavored has worked well for me.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I use a vanilla whey isolate scoop with one serving(46g) of egg white, splenda, banana extract, pumpkin puree for a moist texture and baking powder to make them fluffier.