Tomorrow will be 170 days on MFP and I've only lost 30lbs

Options
I understand that everyone loses weight at different paces but I know that it is because of my random weekend binge eating that is causing the slow down. I am very happy with the 30lbs loss, I rather weigh 30lbs less than be back to what I was.. It's just I hold these mini goals for myself (10lbs every 2 months) and I've been barely making the mark.

I would like to lose 10lbs once a month, and I know it is possible if I just worked harder on my weight loss, but I am trying to make a lifestyle change by trying to eat the things I like but in moderation. It's just not working out as well as I'd like to.

I'm just looking for some words of encouragement....

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've been on here 239 days (actually about two months longer even) and only lost 30 pounds. I'm a slow poke.

10 pounds a month is a bit much, especially if you are not very obese. Definitely a great idea to log better and work on a life style change/moderation, but there's also no rush.

• jjmorse1985
    jjmorse1985 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That's very healthy to lose weight like that. Be proud that you lost 30 some people can't do what you are doing. ..Congratulations
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    30lbs in under 6 months is an incredible achievement!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weight loss slows down when you have less to lose.

It could also be your goals are too aggressive. You need to have realistic goals and expectations. 10 lbs in a month is something only the extremely obese can do.

You should also examine why you are binging.
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You look great with a 30lb loss Arditarose! I always seem to find people on MFP who lose like 100lbs in a year.. with exercising and eating right and then you have me over here who is just trying to eat less and semi healthy.. it's a battle. I am obese according to BMI. I currently weigh 190lbs and I am supposed to be around 120lbs.
  • turtlez23
    Options
    Thank you JJMorse. It would be nice to find people who are losing at a rate like mine though.
  • arditarose
    Options
    turtlez23 wrote: »
    You look great with a 30lb loss Arditarose! I always seem to find people on MFP who lose like 100lbs in a year.. with exercising and eating right and then you have me over here who is just trying to eat less and semi healthy.. it's a battle. I am obese according to BMI. I currently weigh 190lbs and I am supposed to be around 120lbs.

Thanks! I do know what you mean, even for my stats and not starting quite as high as you, it seems people lost faster than me.

I wouldn't shoot for more than two pounds a week though! You can do it. Tighten up your logging. Have fun with your diary.
  • turtlez23
    Options
    Nink, I think I am binging because when I go out on the weekend with my friends we eat out and the food just taste so flavorful because it is so fatty. I try really hard not to deprive myself so I don't binge, but my self control is just something I need to work on some more.
  • turtlez23
    Options
    Thank you Paula!
  • jenn11411
    jenn11411 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I feel the same....been on here 4 months but the last month didnt lose a pound. I am having trouble staying on the wagon!
  • arditarose
    Options
    jenn11411 wrote: »
    I feel the same....been on here 4 months but the last month didnt lose a pound. I am having trouble staying on the wagon!

I didn't lose a pound last month either! I actually gained a pound after a drop and held steady for 3-4 weeks. It came off this week finally. Weight loss is not linear! Stay on the wagon and you'll see results.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Nink, I think I am binging because when I go out on the weekend with my friends we eat out and the food just taste so flavorful because it is so fatty. I try really hard not to deprive myself so I don't binge, but my self control is just something I need to work on some more.

If you know where you're going ahead of time, try pre-planning with looking at nutrition info beforehand.
  • turtlez23
    Options
    Thank you Arditarose! You're right, I have to tighten up my logging!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Thank you Arditarose! You're right, I have to tighten up my logging!

Start now! I'm working on my dinner for tomorrow. Already got breakfast, lunch, and dessert logged :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I understand that everyone loses weight at different paces but I know that it is because of my random weekend binge eating that is causing the slow down. I am very happy with the 30lbs loss, I rather weigh 30lbs less than be back to what I was.. It's just I hold these mini goals for myself (10lbs every 2 months) and I've been barely making the mark.

I would like to lose 10lbs once a month, and I know it is possible if I just worked harder on my weight loss, but I am trying to make a lifestyle change by trying to eat the things I like but in moderation. It's just not working out as well as I'd like to.

I'm just looking for some words of encouragement....

Why not be realistic and look at losing it in a healthy rate where you can keep ot off instead of regaining? Be pleased with what you have done and patient. Some people lose fast at first because they have lots to lose, but everyones rate will slow down the less they have to lose. You are doing great, so dont star beaing yourself up becayse you arent hitting an unrealistic target. Carry on doing what you are doing. If you are binging it might be because you are being too aggressive.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    So in 24 weeks you have lost 30 lbs.... That is a great steady loss.... How much do you think you should have lost in 170 days?
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    "If you don't get everything you want, think of the things you don't get that you don't want." ~ Oscar Wilde

Just think, 170 days ago, you might not have made a commitment to yourself and found MFP. The time would have gone by and today you still would have those 30 lbs on your body (or maybe even a few more)! Celebrate the 30 lbs you lost and what you have learned in the past 170 days. Continue practicing what you know now about healthy eating and exercise, continue learning and continue losing at a healthy pace.
  • MaizeyMaizey
    MaizeyMaizey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I can relate, but I'll tell you what I tell myself when I feel down about losing a little versus losing a lot: That's actually GREAT! :) You are right, though. It could be better. I also tell myself THAT.

If we want to lose faster, the healthiest way is increased activity. It's the part I've always missed and the reason I yo-yo. I just got an electronic fitness tracker yesterday, and it's making a huge difference already since I see how much I'm not moving. Not moving translates: "Slower-to-No Weight Loss." But moving more along with restricting calories is science and must result in less adipose tissue in otherwise healthy people.

Strength training even translates into greater calorie burn when at rest to keep the muscle fed! That's win-win-WIN.

Logging better is also good advice. Every bite counts in calories burned vs. calories ingested.

All my best wishes! Here's to moving and tracking!
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight on MFP goodness knows how long ago (a year and a half, maybe?) and have only lost 33 lbs. That's barely -2 lbs/month. My point is, let life happen. If your friends go out for beer on a Saturday, don't opt out because of calorie-counting. If you go on vacation and you want to get your hands on exotic foods, do it. At the risk of sounding preachy and philosophical, weight loss is a part of life, not something you have to take a break from life to do. Let it happen slowly. If you don't enjoy it, you won't stick with it.

You only have 30 lbs to go. There is absolutely no hurry. It isn't something you have to get over with ASAP, it's an ongoing process that will last for quite some time. Might as well stop putting up unrealistic goals (come on, you can't lose 10 lbs/month at this point in a healthy way) and deadlines, and instead have fun with it. You'll get there before you know it.