Staying OP while at someone else's house

Options
I wondered if anyone has any advice for either staying On Plan while staying at someone else's house (like temporarily for a vacation/visiting for a week) when you don't have access to all your normal foods and such that keeps you On Plan? Has anyone had to deal with this? How did you succeed?

Personally, I have not done well in the past trying to stay on plan away from home. Every two to three months, I go with my boyfriend to visit his family who live a few states away. We stay for a week or so and then go back home. His mom loves to buy very fattening (i.e. delicious) foods, and has a strict policy of "please eat this food."

So we're going to his family's house again on Tuesday and we're staying for 9 days and I am packing basically a crazy amount of food. I'm packing all the condiments and spices I use (his mother doesn't cook and doesn't own any spices besides salt. I'm totally serious) and also some staples of my diet such as quinoa, tuna, organic jam, quest bars, etc. and then I plan to buy produce and meat when I get there.

Am I crazy? haha.
Just curious to start the discussion.
:)

Replies

• bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Offer to cook, if she doesn't!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    If she doesn't cook you have a great opportunity. You get to make food that fits your goals while being the wonderful daughter in law that cooks for the family! Be sure to approach it politely, rather than critically. (I thought it would be nice to cook for everyone since we are your guests, rather than pointing out that she doesn't cook and eats crap)
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I approach it a little differently - I eat what the family I am with eats, and just watch portions. A week or two hasn't done me in.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Moderation.