walking

Options
Walked 10.4 miles today.. Yup I'm dead!! Lol
Big difference between that and 4 miles on the treadmill....

Replies

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    10.4 miles is impressive.
    I love Powerwalking in my local Park (fresh air, great scenery).....you can't beat it!
    The Treadmill bored me to tears.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Wow! I consider it an accomplishment when I walk 3 miles, LOL. 10.4 is amazing.

Walking is my main form of exercise (OK...my ONLY form of exercise) and I am much more consistent at it when the weather is nice. I also find the treadmill boring.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Congratulations, that's an awesome accomplishment!

I actually like the treadmill. I put in my headphones and completely zone out. I feel like I push myself harder when I'm not distracted by scenery.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Walkers usually measure their steps. How many steps is that for you?
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! the most I've been able to knock off at one time is 5.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Great.
    I've been walking since I can't run at the moment. Rain or shine (okay, not thunderstorms, but still...), I just love the outdoors. :smile:
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Walkers usually measure their steps. How many steps is that for you?
    Not all of them.

Ive done 3 Avon Walks for Breast Cancer, only one did I have a Fitbit. it measured a difference distance the posted route.

OP, congrats on the 10.4mi!
    I'm very jealous since I've got a broken leg and can't do long distance walks yet lol

If you've gotten blisters, wrap the spots that rub with moleskin. And using Vaseline and moisture wicking socks really help. My favorite for the Avon Walks are Injinji toe socks (they're athletic socks) since I'm prone to blisters on 3 of my toes, these really help
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    LoveDoc66 wrote: »
    that's good..☺

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I did a 1.5 hr hike today and I felt accomplished. You did awesome! I greatly improved my stamina from last year I could only walk for like 20 mins at a time. One day I will get up to 10 miles.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    LoveDoc66 wrote: »

Congrats on a good walk. I did 6 miles in a state park with lots of hills and I am a bit dead too. Hooray for walking and hooray for Spring!

ps: I cannot stand the treadmill, I find it excruciatingly boring so I walk outside, rain or shine (unless the rain is accompanied by lightning)

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    10.4 miles is impressive.
    I love Powerwalking in my local Park (fresh air, great scenery).....you can't beat it!
    The Treadmill bored me to tears.

I switch off and listen to music and day dream on a treadmill. Time just flies by.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I've never been on a treadmill in my life. I have noticed a huge gym culture on here. A lot like the dating cutlure I see in the USA.

Walking is fun :-).
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is nice. Get to fool around with the inclines and speed, watch television, and turn on the fan. Nothing wrong with a treadmill!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Apart from the TV, you can do that while walking outside too :-)
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Treadmill + Netflix + rain/snow outside = :)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Apart from the TV, you can do that while walking outside too :-)

If you want to pay for the data streaming, you can even watch TV on your phone while walking. Why would you, though, when you have so much to see outside? Wildlife, neighbors, neighbors friendly dogs, the changing seasons. I love my outside walks. A couple of the dogs who get walked at the same time as I go out even get excited when they see me because they know me now.

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Walking outdoors or Walking on a Treadmill, doesn't really matter at the end of the day.
    As long as you're doing Exercise!
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This is great OP! :smiley:

My record time for walking at the park and around the neighborhood is 7 hours straight. I have no idea how many miles that translates to though. Wish I had one of those fitbit things that counts your steps. I'm going to save up for one. Walking on a treadmill is way boring for me, but it took me forever to save up enough money for it so I'm so proud to finally own one. The treadmill saves me on bad weather days. It saves me from sunburn too :blush:

Everyone who's out there being healthy and active, keep up the great work!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    WOW congrats to you!

I love walking outside. I can get lost in it and just walk and walk. My last walk was almost 7 miles. I too am not a huge fan of the treadmill. I'll use it when I have to, all I have for entertainment near the treadmill is a stereo, no TV. I do prefer to run on the treadmill vs. outdoors but I'll always pick the walking first before running.

Walking is great exercise!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    How much do I dislike a treadmill? Wintertime, when it is too icy outside, I walk a circuit in the underground parking structure of my apartment complex. It is a big "U" and 5 times around is just under a mile. Put my tunes on and go. By the end of this winter, I inspired about 4 more people to do the same :p