Barbell row lower back fatigue?

Options
IsaackGMOON
IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
I'm doing 5x5, and today I was doing workout A (Squat, Bench Press and Barbell Row). I did the exercises in that order, including warm up sets.

When I hit the Barbell Rows, my lower back fatigued quite quickly. It wasn't a bad pain, but it just felt like bleeurgh; I can't describe it really. Is this common with Barbell rows? I'm doing them off the floor, if that changes anything?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Don't just let your belly hang there ;) Concentrate on using your abs to stabilize and strengthen your whole core. We are not just the parts we are working out. Other muscles need to come into play to stabilize. That will help your lower back fatigue.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Is your lower back arching? have you taken a picture or video of your form on the lift?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    My form is fine. I had a PT who is a friend check if my form was fine and he said it was good.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    As someone with a bulging lower disc - the two biggest enemies are poor form, and poor bracing. Why don't you go ahead and post a form video here anyway?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    My form is fine. I had a PT who is a friend check if my form was fine and he said it was good.

Just because someone is a PT doesn't mean they know good form and how to correct bad form. As stated above, post a video of your form and you can get further help.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Assuming no preexisting injuries, you should never feel any pain when you're lifting. This holds true for all lifts. So if you felt pain in your lower back from the rows, that means you did something wrong.

It could have been that you were too fatigued to maintain your core and back stabilized. Or it could be that you're going too heavy and can't handle the weight you're using.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »
    Assuming no preexisting injuries, you should never feel any pain when you're lifting. This holds true for all lifts. So if you felt pain in your lower back from the rows, that means you did something wrong.

It could have been that you were too fatigued to maintain your core and back stabilized. Or it could be that you're going too heavy and can't handle the weight you're using.

It's not pain. I really have no idea how to explain what it feels like... just feels like fatigue I guess.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    The lower back is worked with squats already, so by the time you get to the rows at the end of your workout they aren't the first time you're hitting your back. Try backing off the weight a tad on the rows, see if that helps.

I suspect it's your squat form, not your rowing form, which is giving you issues. Make sure your squat is done properly as well, not rounding the back as you go up or re-rack the weights. You may not be feeling it during the squats due to higher energy levels to start the workout, adrenaline, etc, and it's just the row's bad luck of being last. Maybe consider swapping exercise order, doing rows first?