Quinoa, dried vs cooked weight

Options
Okay I am trying to get more accurate on my logging!!

From what I have read 1/4c(46g dry) is equal to 1 cup of cooked, that doesn't change the calories I know but what is the grams of the 1 cup cooked, it can't still be 46g?

My package says 180cals per 46g dry, and in my log I have 1/2c is 318cals? That can't be right?

I pre-cook my quinoa for the week, so I just wanna be able to weigh and go!!

Thanks for any and all help!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Weigh for the whole week's batch ONCE. Divide by 5.
    For example, cook 46 dry grams for a total of 180 calories.
    For Monday through Friday you will have 35 calories.

Or make a larger quantity: Cook 92 grams of dry quinoa.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    What I would do is something like this:

1) Weigh out whatever number of servings you need dry. ie - you want 5 cups cooked, then weigh out 5x46g.
    2) Cook up the quinoa
    3) Weigh it again after being cooked. Divide by 5 and portion appropriately.

The cooked weight is going to vary from person to person but the above should do the trick to get your estimation close.

~Lyssa
  • tonyalynn26
    tonyalynn26 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

1) Weigh out whatever number of servings you need dry. ie - you want 5 cups cooked, then weigh out 5x46g.
    2) Cook up the quinoa

The cooked weight is going to vary from person to person but the above should do the trick to get your estimation close.

~Lyssa

Thanks! This help a lot! Now I know I am not getting 318cals, unless I eat more! Time to tweek things!!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

2) Cook up the quinoa

~Lyssa

Thanks! This help a lot! Now I know I am not getting 318cals, unless I eat more! Time to tweek things!!

The same logic applies to other dry foods - like pasta or rice. Weigh dry, and, if you will be making multiple portions, weigh after cooking, too, and just divide by the number of portions you made.

This assumes you're just cooking in water - if you're using broth, that's some extra calories.

~Lyssa
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yup, just like @macgurlnet said. Weigh it dry, know how many servings you have, then weigh it cooked and divide by that many servings to get the "wet serving weight". I do this when I make a big batch of spaghetti for meal preps :)
  • spicydy
    spicydy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1/4 c quinoa is ok to eat in one sitting?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    spicydy wrote: »
    1/4 c quinoa is ok to eat in one sitting?

this is a very old thread. Why not start your own? But yeah, what's wrong with eating 1/4c of quinoa? There's nothing wrong with any type of food. As this is a weightloss website/app I'll answer for weightloss. In order to reach it you just need to eat less calories than your body needs to stay on weight. That's all. No foods are bad. Some keep you fuller for longer, others don't. But that's very individual. Some people prefer lots of fat, I would gnaw my arm off as I'd be hungry the whole time.