gall bladder surgery and calories

Options
hi this is tracie. i just had gallbladder surgery and the doctors did give me a low fat eating plan but no guid lines on calories. just wondering should i increase my calories while healing or just keep them at 1610

Replies

• dragon1949
    dragon1949 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi when I had my gall bladder out in the UK I was told not to change my diet and eat normal which I did and had no problems at all. Saying that I have always gone for low fat options for years
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I've had my gall bladder removed and was told absolutely nothing about what and how to eat. Yay.

I'd recommend eating low-ish fat, I tend to get stomach problems when I eat very rich foods. I think your 1610 should be fine. It's not super-low and while you're healing you probably won't move very much. If you feel really ravenous, just add a little.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out a few years ago. I haven't changed my diet other than restricting calories to lose weight. I tend to eat a higher fat, lower carb diet- not on purpose, it just works out that way- and as long as I don't eat too much fat all at once I'm fine.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Had my gallbladder out years ago and no issues so far. they did not specify an eating plan post surgery. I think you are alright with your goal. Perhaps change your my fitness pal setting to sedentary and eat in the range until you feel well enough to move around better. On that note I felt 110% better post surgery than I did before!
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    As with many other posters, I was not given a diet plan to follow post-surgery. You may find trigger foods that go right through you with an immediate need to use the restroom. Once you know these, you can select them in moderation as long as a plan exists for potential rapid release.
  • Clovergirl82
    Clovergirl82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'll be having my gallbladder taken out on the 14th of May. My surgeon has given me a huge do and don't list when it comes to food. I've seen a bunch of posts about not changing diet, but most of the foods I eat are probably on the don't list. I'm going to try to avoid them and introduce some of them in moderation to see how I fair, but any help or advice would be appreciated. Please friend me, if you are going though the same thing. Maybe we can share some tips.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed last week and my surgeon didn't give me any dietary recommendations at all.
  • Clovergirl82
    Clovergirl82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I haven't memorized my list, but I do know it calls for lean meats, like chicken and fish. No shellfish of any kind, no butter, or margarine. Skim milk products are okay, but nothing else, no non-dairy products either. You can only have three eggs a week, but unlimited egg whites are ok. If you have any corn or potatos, no bread for the day. No pork :(, like bacon or sausage. No avocado. Only use soybean or sunflower oil. Only two alcohol beverages a day like beer or wine.. There is a lot more, but this is what I remember atm.
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 20 years ago, and had no dietary restrictions, but like many of the previous posters, some foods didn't agree - specifically anything greasy or fried. Fried chicken was the worst! If you had pain before, you will probably be cautious around that type of food already.
  • tracielh1976
    tracielh1976 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone. i really do appreciate the responses.
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out two years ago and never was given a do an don't list. Every now and then I'll have stomach problems from certain foods such as milk and fresh cheese...but that may be from my slight lactose intolerance. I do tend to stay away from fried foods, but small amount don't bother me.