What's a substitute for coffee?

Options
2»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    Cocaine? wakes you up and makes you loose weight in the long run....

Ha.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Some good and well-meant suggestions, guys, thank you! They're appreciated :)
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I do not know where you live, but there are substitutes for Greek coffee. In my opinion, it is clear you are not drinking coffee, but they exist, and I know people who drink them. I have seen substitutes based on barley, carob or chickpeas. I do not know where you live, but there must be online stores selling them, maybe try amazon?

I'm in Canada! We have all kinds of things, in all kinds of stores, it's just that my guts won't let me consume them just now. I'm trying a low-everything diet to work out IBS issues. (Did my writing come across as more foreign than that? Interesting.) For the moment, I'm staying away from non-white carbs, but I'll look at those drinks if it turns out I'm in the clear for grains/legumes :)

I think I probably should have said upfront that this is an IBS thing :/ But you know :/ I don't know if fruit/herbal teas are ok, but I will look it up!

I am in Europe, so you are definitely foreign to me ;)

Are you sure you need to give up tea for IBS? I used to suffer from IBS years ago. There was an awful initial period for a few months, then it lasted a few years where things where tolerable but required a lot of meal planning (and I was not at all comfortable being in places where there was no toilet nearby) then got better. I have no idea what triggered the change to make it appear or to have it go away and I have been fine for years now. Anyway, black tea was something that actually always seemed to help in my case, not make symptoms worse. The more the better actually. I used to drink 10 cups of tea or more per day.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I live in Italy and during the war when people couldn't get coffee they drank orzo, which is toasted barley. It's still sold in the stores here especially for children and people that can't have cafeine. One brand is Nestle' Orzo Bimbo. You could google it and perhaps find something similar in your area. I used to drink it--it grows on you. Best of luck with your problem. B)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon tea is lovely, only 4 calories and helps balance blood sugars so it reduces cravings
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Some good and well-meant suggestions, guys, thank you! They're appreciated :)
    I do not know where you live, but there are substitutes for Greek coffee. In my opinion, it is clear you are not drinking coffee, but they exist, and I know people who drink them. I have seen substitutes based on barley, carob or chickpeas. I do not know where you live, but there must be online stores selling them, maybe try amazon?

I'm in Canada! We have all kinds of things, in all kinds of stores, it's just that my guts won't let me consume them just now. I'm trying a low-everything diet to work out IBS issues. (Did my writing come across as more foreign than that? Interesting.) For the moment, I'm staying away from non-white carbs, but I'll look at those drinks if it turns out I'm in the clear for grains/legumes :)

I think I probably should have said upfront that this is an IBS thing :/ But you know :/ I don't know if fruit/herbal teas are ok, but I will look it up!

I am in Europe, so you are definitely foreign to me ;)

Are you sure you need to give up tea for IBS? I used to suffer from IBS years ago. There was an awful initial period for a few months, then it lasted a few years where things where tolerable but required a lot of meal planning (and I was not at all comfortable being in places where there was no toilet nearby) then got better. I have no idea what triggered the change to make it appear or to have it go away and I have been fine for years now. Anyway, black tea was something that actually always seemed to help in my case, not make symptoms worse. The more the better actually. I used to drink 10 cups of tea or more per day.

Fair enough, haha.

IBS is really strange, it's not at all well understood, from what I gather. I'm sorry you went through that, and am glad you feel better!

I've had ungreat responses to tea so far - at least I think so, because it's pretty unclear, at this stage. I'm hoping the elimination diet will shed some light on what I really can and can't have. It might be combinations of things, too. It's only for a little while, though - just a few weeks.

My beautiful coffee, unfortunately, is a strong trigger, for sure, I know that :/:'(
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    water!
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I live in Italy and during the war when people couldn't get coffee they drank orzo, which is toasted barley. It's still sold in the stores here especially for children and people that can't have cafeine. One brand is Nestle' Orzo Bimbo. You could google it and perhaps find something similar in your area. I used to drink it--it grows on you. Best of luck with your problem. B)

Thank you! I will see if that's something I can do, sooner or later :) (How interesting, also! I trust it's a good product, if Italians are happy to drink it :) )
  • tomatoey
    Options
    water!

Cinnamon tea is lovely, only 4 calories and helps balance blood sugars so it reduces cravings

Thanks, guys :)

I'm off for a bit now, but thanks so much, everyone!
  • csbickish
    csbickish Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Teeccino - herbal coffee substitute. It comes in tea bags or ground. We like the grounds brewed as coffee best. The "green" bags - especially the French Roast are closest to coffee. Available at Whole Foods or online.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Thank you! I will see if that's something I can do, sooner or later :) (How interesting, also! I trust it's a good product, if Italians are happy to drink it :) )

My mother-in-law used to drink it frequently even though she was known for her great espresso. She grew up during the war and probably liked it for that reason. I notice alot of older people drink it--it's easier on the stomach. Since you're looking for a substitute, this might do it. B)