Quitting Smoking While Losing Weigt

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    It takes a hell of a lot of determination to KEEP smoking these days! All the avoiding-the-health warnings, ignoring the shortness of breath, smelliness, and being a social outcast.

You already know you've got that determined streak by losing weight, too. Turn the smoking stubbornness into the refusal to poison your body with cigarettes.

You can do it!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Vaping. You still have the smoking sensation but you can breathe so much better and wean yourself off the nicotine if you choose. My e cig has become one of my essential weight loss tools as well. Craving something? You can vape it! Right now I've got funnel cake, mint chocolate cookie, banana bread, and lemon bar juices. I find they are so much more satisfying than the real thing.

Yup when I want something sweet I put in my moon cream which tastes like moon mist ice cream, or coconut pineapple....watermelon for the summer and orange creamcycle.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I quit 4 months ago. I have lost 5lbs so far, I never actually gained any weight, but I think it might have made progress a bit slower. On the other hand I have taken up running and I can swim faster for longer since quitting, and the feeling of climbing a flight of stairs without thinking my heart will beat out of my chest feels GREAT! I would recommend it just for the personal achievements, a couple of pounds of weight gain is nothing compared to how better you will feel for doing it.
    Edit: knitting helped me ALOT! I really does help.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Quit cold turkey after 30 years in July. It CAN be done.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Yes! Way to go!
  • blueriotgirl
    blueriotgirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Im trying to quit as well. I actually found an app on my phone to show me how my body systems are returning to normal after each min, day, etc that goes buy. Its a day to day. Ive smoked for 22 years (im gonna be 36 in july). I want to quit before i atart to step up ky cardio into harder workouts. Smoking is holding me back because i know i will feel like im going to die if i try the workout and still smoke. If you want to add me. We can be s support system both for the weight loss and the quitting of smoking. Good luck to you!
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've quit cold turkey twice. Each time, I had just found out I was pregnant. The first time lasted two years, the second time, three. My son just weaned himself on his second birthday and for whatever reason, I got a little tipsy and thought, "Hey, I want a cigarette.." Ugh. I'm honestly so ashamed. I feel extreme guilt and embarrassment when I buy a new pack. I often get told I don't "look like a smoker" whatever that means. I know I should just throw away the pack I have now but I've told myself.. Three today, two tomorrow, one the next day. I'm determined to make this my last pack. It was easy before, knowing I had a miracle growing inside me to quit for. Now I really need to tell myself that I'm worth it, too.
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I quit back in January using the patch and made it 11 weeks. But now, I have been smoking again because honestly, I love smoking and really was not ready to quit. I do plan to try vaping soon though.
  • bonekicker
    bonekicker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I quit 10 days ago. It's nothing compared to some of the other posters but it's still a huge win for me! I quit cold turkey. The very first day was the hardest for me, cause I usually falter in the evening and start over the next day.. I was a smoker for 7 years, about 6 cigs a day.. I've been exercising for about six months now, aiming for 4 times a week. I haven't gained a single pound since I quite smoking. I know it's only been 10 days but I have established a bunch of healthy habit over the last few months so gaining weight after quitting is unlikely. I also decided to start running more regularly. Running takes my mind of things.

The thing I love most about being a non-smoker is the fact that my hair and clothes don't stink anymore. Sooo worth it :smile:

You're already committed to being healthy, so stick to your exercise regime, healthy snacks, drink loads of water and keep your mind busy. You can do it. I believe in you B)
  • Orphia
    Options
    Good luck, bonekicker, and other quitters!

One year anniversary of quitting for me was on Friday. Cold turkey, too. I just didn't want to be addicted to anything any more.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Yep same here , was easier than anticipated after 30 years. I also feared piling on the pounds but as I had already been here sorting diet and such it wasn't a problem

edit for spelling :/

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I just passed my four year anniversary after having smoked 1- 2 packs a day for40 years. If I can do it, anyone can! I used the patches to help me quit. Good luck to all of you on this journey. It is *so* worthwhile!
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Erm... yesterday was a total failure. Today was either a partial failure or a partial success depending on how you want to look at it.

On Tuesday, I barely lasted until after breakfast and then smoked a whole pack. Today, I made it until after lunch and have kept my total down to three.

So, I did better today. Just not as well as I had hoped. If I do better tomorrow than I did today, I'll count it as a very small victory and a step in the right direction. More importantly, I haven't quit trying to quit.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I recall times when I was quitting that I had to literally get through it a minute at a time. But when that minute passed, so did the craving. Even if the next one was only minutes away, I knew that it, too, would pass. My mantra was "For today, I am a non-smoker." This worked for me because it was more honest and less intimidating than saying, "I am a non-smoker." Semantics, I know, but it worked for me. Those smoke-free todays piled up end-to-end and I was finally *real* a non-smoker. ;)
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ohgee yes today was a sucess! You kept at it and will do it! I remember times feeling like I was trying to quit every day. With the help of the gum and that BF I finally made it down to just chain smoking through my lunch break, then just one at lunch then none...aside from the physical it had been such a mental habit. I smoked after everything. I get in car, smoke. Eat, smoke. work, smoke. I had to think "I get in the car, put music on" "eat, drink tea" "work, call friend"
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I went the prescription path. One month on Chantix, can't even think about smoking ever again. Sometimes I think about smoking like a long, cherished memory, but I'll never go back, too disgusting to my mind now to consider picking it up again.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I quit yesterday. Since MFP has helped me lose weight, I got a different app for quitting smoking. It has a variety of tickers that will reset if you answer "yes" that you have smoked (I think, I have done well so far, 38hrs smoke free & counting). I am also using nic losenges. I have been too ashamed to start this topic on MFP, but when I saw your thread, I wanted to be here with ya. Today was not a great calorie day and I was too distracted to do my whole workout at the gym. Hopefully, tomorrow is better. I am making sure to take my protein and crunchy veggies to work and will have them at home too. I feel like my success on MFP is going to give me an edge on the quitting thing. I really do (finally) want to be healthy overall. I definitely plan to both quit & keep moving forward with the weight loss. I am sure it can be done. Good luck! :)
  • alisupercali
    alisupercali Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I quit three and a half years ago using hypnotherapy (I was sceptical of it myself, but I haven't had a cigarette since). Also, I really didn't want to quit. Smoking was my favourite thing, it was really a financial thing for me at the time, and yet it was still really effective for me. Exercise is actually a great coping mechanism when you're quitting, it really helps to work off all of that inevitable nervous energy/blind rage. I think one of the most important things is to tell yourself that you're not "quitting", you're not an "ex-smoker", you do not smoke. For me that made navigating conversations with smokers and offers of cigarettes a lot easier because it just shuts it down. I still do get the occasional craving, but I know to just let it pass - it will! And think about how much easier it is to not have to plan my day around every cigarette, or go on slightly long train/bus journeys :D
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The first time I quit smoking it was so easy. I went to the emergency room with a horrible pain in my side and they told me I had kidney stones, and guess what, your pregnant. Surprise! They couldn't give me drugs to break up the stone or do sonic blasting because of the baby. Instead I got an operation and 4 days of morphine. By the time I got out of the hospital, the morphine had got me over the worst of it and I knew I couldn't go back to smoking.

This time I'm doing it that hard way, but once its done I'm never going back.
  • Orphia
    Options
    How are our new non-smokers doing?

Cheering for you, guys!