Using my fitness pal

Options
jwarren8428
jwarren8428 Posts: 4 Member
Hi, I have been using MFP for a month now and have lost 8lb through cutting of bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. As it's been nice weather eating salad has made this easy.
My issue lies with the accuracy of items listed. I am in the UK and find it difficulty to find the foods I eat measured in grams, ml and litres as almost everything seems to be measured in 'cups'.
Also have just bought some almond milk and depending on which you choose from the drop down list for the same product the sodium levels can be 0.1 to 50.0 per 100ml.
What do you do and am I the only one struggling ...?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    I have found the same issue. I keep on looking at the MFP entries until I found one in grams or I make my own entry in grams and I use it again and again.
    If you are buying a container/packaged food item you can use the scanner in your smartphone to upload the nutrition label to MFP (i.e. almond milk). Yes, there is a big difference between brands for the same items, like sugar, sodium, etc
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Most generic entries on the MFP database are also available in grams. Certainly fruit tends to be. Most food has the calorie information on the packet, so you can just go by that. Don't go by what it says in the database if you have the packet with the calorie information on.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Look for the non-starred entries and then the ones with most member confirmations

Scan barcodes yourself - check against pack

you will soon build up a list

By the way - there is no reason to cut out specific foods or food groups, unless you are planning on staying low carb for life - just achieve your calorie defecit across the week

Cutting out carbs means .. you will be benefiting from water weight reduction due to reduction in glycogen stores in the early weeks .. this will then slow down.. but as soon as you reintroduce carbs it will spring up again as glycogen stores are replenished
  • StereophoneyGaz
    StereophoneyGaz Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Scanning your most used barcodes is the way forward, you soon build up your own regular database