What is the female obsession with a 1200 calorie diet?

Options

Replies

• estielouise
    estielouise Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I actually feel better now that I am eating around 1200 calories a day! I used to feel sluggish and bloated ALL the time and so tired. not sure how many calories i was eating before. I am around 2 stone overweight and nothing was shifting and I was doing zumba on the wii three times a week. Now I am less tired and sluggish and bloated, I have more energy, and I am not even exercising at the moment as I have an injury (damaged by foot ligaments, been out of action for 6 weeks).
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    When I put my stats and goals in MFP, they give me a goal of 1200 a day to lose weight. No way. They tried to starve me to death. I'm not insanely active, but I don't sit on the couch all day either.

I bumped my calories up to nearly 1700 because 1200 is much too low. Not only was I hungry all the time, but it's really hard to stay under 1200 for me. I'd have to eat three 400 calorie meals a day or two 600 calorie meals a day. BORING.

So, I think a lot of it has to do with MFP's settings and recommendations. I would bet MFP recommends 1200 to a lot of women, and when they don't see results past the first few weeks, they freak out and then ask for help in the forums on why they're not losing weight with that low calorie amount.

I love MFP for the forums and food diary, but I don't agree with their calculators.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    There is an epidemic of undereating on this site, among women AND men. There are men on my FL who eat way less than I do, and some of them are nearly twice my size. I don't understand it at all. People need to figure out that all the crap they are asking their bodies to do can not be done indefinitely if they aren't going to feed themselves properly.

You know what's odd. You're pretty close to my calorie net.

Uh huh. And I'm losing nearly a pound per week!
  • brooklyn030
    brooklyn030 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well Im definatley not for it. I love to eat and stay in shape, however, MFP pushes it. When you enter in your stats when beinging on site it pulled up I needed to eat 1260 cals a day thats IT! I tryed everything to make it go up other than putting on a pound a week. Im not trying to loose weight I want muscle. So thats my answer to your question. I would much rather eat 1500-2000, which would probably be harder than what I think if your eatting healthy.
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    It's a governmental guideline - a minimum intake to maintain reasonable health.

Most websites and magazines won't advocate lower for fear of being sued.

People are impatient, ala, push it to the max regardless of individual needs.

^^good point
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    now who DIDN'T select 2 pounds per week? Anyone?

I didn't. I want to lose it slowly because all the times I tried to do it fast in the past, I burned out and gave up. 30 lbs and 1.5 years later, I'm still going strong.

Why do you think everyone went for 2 lbs a week?
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of inactive women see it as a way for quick weight loss. It's often touted by diet websites as the magic number, the one that you can't go under. My question is why would a person want to eat at the bare minimum anyway? That's not much of a window for treats or hitting protein macros.

1200 calories did work for me at first but I was worn out a lot of the time. I also didn't lift weights back then.

Now I have to eat 1900 just to maintain my 97 - lb frame. If I eat 1200 and exercise it feels like I've hit into a brick wall. My workouts suffer so I burn far fewer calories AND lose muscle mass with the fat.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Based on my stats and goals, (SW 177, GW 145, 5'7" Female) MFP suggested 1280. I generally NET that, with a burn of about 500 daily . I'm certainly not starving myself or underfed. So maybe they're obsessed because that's what the software tells them they need to be successful?

But in defense of the 1200 cal diet, it isn't hard to hit if A) you excercise and B) eat a lot of veggies and lean protein. So it comes down to the same old common sense "secret" of diet and excercise.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Went to a dietician years ago - told her I run 4X a week, 1 of those was a long run more than an hour. Kickboxing 2-3X a week for an hour, plus 4 hours of weight lifting. She put me on a 1200 a day calorie diet.

I lost tons of weight, and gained it all back. Lucky me.

Not sure where it comes from but it needs to stop. Now.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Went to a dietician years ago - told her I run 4X a week, 1 of those was a long run more than an hour. Kickboxing 2-3X a week for an hour, plus 4 hours of weight lifting. She put me on a 1200 a day calorie diet.

But, to be fair, you didn't gain it back by eating 1200 calories per day, did you?
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    in...for the 1200 debate and for 1200 is starvation mode, and all the other crap this thread will spawn....

Dr Watson is in too!!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    i selected 0 pounds per week.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    What obsession? 1200 is what MFP recommends for anyone who is trying to lose weight fairly aggressively. Some people, including smaller women, can't eat much over 1200 and lose weight unless they're exercising like an elite athlete. It simply is not true that dragging out weight loss is desirable or that people can't learn new habits over a fairly short period.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I selected 1 lb per week, but I was very near goal when I joined.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

But, to be fair, you didn't gain it back by eating 1200 calories per day, did you?

:flowerforyou:
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Who know how some things like that get started?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

I would definitely say you guys are the exception. When you are ignorant, know nothing about weight loss, calories, micro and macro nutrients, and overall uneducated why wouldn't you be like "Lose MORE weight? Of course! That sounds awesome!". I know I did and I know PLENTY of other people who did as well.

All i'm saying is this is why it's important to set reasonable goals and an accurate activity level.

:)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

I didn't. I want to lose it slowly because all the times I tried to do it fast in the past, I burned out and gave up. 30 lbs and 1.5 years later, I'm still going strong.

I went for 1lb a week. When I started 1lb a week gave me a little more than 1200, but now it's 1200. We don't need to select 2lb a week to get 1200 calories.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I would definitely say you guys are the exception. When you are ignorant, know nothing about weight loss, calories, micro and macro nutrients, and overall uneducated why wouldn't you be like "Lose MORE weight? Of course! That sounds awesome!". I know I did and I know PLENTY of other people who did as well.

All i'm saying is this is why it's important to set reasonable goals and an accurate activity level.

:)

If I had more than 40-50 lbs to lose I would select 2 lbs per week. And follow the MFP plan.

1200 really isn't so bad, especially if you follow the MFP plan and eat back exercise calories, and allow for "cheat days" or "splurge days" to whatever catchy name you prefer for occasional high calories days.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

I didn't either. I manually adjusted my calories b/c I think MFP was too low, and it now says I should lose 1.3 a week. I'm ok with that #. I'd like for it to consistently happen, but I'm good with it. Slow and steady lifestyle changes are more practical to me.