I quit the healthy lifestyle and now I want to go back

Options
In the past eight months or so, I haven't been exercising regularly and my diet has been terrible. I have gained back about 15 pounds and have started growing a gut.

I'm 6' 1", about 190 pounds so my weight is not something my doctor is concerned with. However, at 47, with slow but steady weight gain I can expect to have weight-related health issue in my near future unless I get back to living a healthy lifestyle.

The reasons I quit living healthy lifestyle are complicated. Last November, I had started a new job and before that I had been in a job that wasn't right for me. Adapting to the new job was extremely challenging. I had to learn new skills and get to know new people. On top of all that I was still dealing with complex emotions with how I treated at my last job. I am a computer programmer so I started to worry that my age was slowing me down and that I wouldn't be able to learn new skills.

Fortunately, I have adapted to my new job very well. The people I work with are great and I was able to learn what I needed to get the job done. While I can't take things for granted, I feel comfortable shifting focus back to health and fitness.

Nothing about my situation should have caused me to stop living a healthy lifestyle. It was all a result of how I reacted to what I was dealing with. Through all of it, I had maintained some level of control of my diet and I did exercise occasionally. I'm not starting over from the bottom and with my previous experience I have an advantage over someone who is just starting out.

So here I am after failing miserably for months looking to start again. I'm about 15 pounds overweight which in the USA, at 47, is still considered exceptional. People often ask me what is my secret to staying in shape. The truth is that I am very good at failing. If I had stayed down the first time I failed, with my family history, I would probably be obese, diabetic with heart trouble.

The community here has always been very helpful and supportive to me. I know I can depend on the guidance and support of others here regardless of where they are at with their fitness goals. I hope my story and the challenges I face will help inspire others as they inspire me.