How many more calories can I eat for every 100 calories burned.

Options
2»

Replies

• cfpcyclist
    cfpcyclist Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This one MIGHT explain what I recall:

"It's been known for some time that, calorie for calorie, it's easier to lose weight by dieting than by exercise,"

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/dieting-vs-exercise-for-weight-loss/?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share
  • cfpcyclist
    cfpcyclist Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Here is a direct link to the calculator referenced in the article above.

http://www.pbrc.edu/research-and-faculty/calculators/weight-loss-predictor/
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I think the article isn't really about maintenance mode but about weight loss. Every time you lose weight, according to this article, your metabolism slows down a little more. You need to eat less and less. So this is a counter point to when people have long said "burn 100 calories a day through walking, and in a year you will lose about 10 lbs (36,500 calories; 35,000 would be the 10 lbs since 3500 calories burned = 1 lb). This doesn't work in reality because every week that you lose weight, you need to lower your base number of food calories. So if you only rely on that 100 calories of walking, you won't steadily lose the same weight each week because you aren't lowering your caloric intake each time you lose....or something like that.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    cfpcyclist wrote: »
    What's is the proper ratio?

The example they gave was this: if eating 2000 calories a day would lead to dropping a pound a week, burning 500 calories doing cardio and eating 2500 calories would be LESS effective.

Several reasons...as others stated, it's really hard to estimate calories burned. But also, you would have to burn EXTRA 500 calories, which is hard to tell if you don't know how many calories you were previously burning. If you were already burning 500 calories running, then you would need to now burn 1000 calories.

Another reason: if you aren't meticulous with your food intake, it's really easy to overeat because you're hungry from the extra exercise. When I first started running a couple years ago, I didn't lose a single pound. I wasn't tracking my food, and I believe I must have compensated for the running by eating more.