Who Counts Their Fresh Fruits & Veggies?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    if it goes in my mouth, i log it - regardless of what it is

Show of hands, other than me, anyone else get a chuckle?
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I do my best to count every bite I take.
    A calorie is a calorie, even the good ones. :wink:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • sapphies
    sapphies Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I follow WW to lose so I don't log fruits and veggies that are 0 WW pts on MFP. I use MFP to sync up with my Body Media arm band. So I just log food that has actual points. So far it has been working for me. I have been losing about 2lbs a week.
  • xandra
    xandra Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat or drink. No exceptions.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I get why you might not bother - 5 cups of spinach is basically nothing, as far as calories go... but it does have iron and other stats I'd like to track. Besides, enough of those "10-50 calorie veggies" over the course of the day...

I generally don't log things like spinach or other greens just because they are so low calorie and it hasn't made a difference. At first I would try to weigh out one serving on my food scale but one serving of spinach is HUGE and doesn't even fit on a plate.

Basically if something comes in at under 15 calories, I usually don't bother. It isn't going to make much of a difference for me and it isn't like I sit there and eat 100 calories worth of 15 calorie things to get out of logging. I figure it balances out with activity that I don't log.

I will throw an apple on the scale, or a bowl of melon or a tomato or cucumber that I'll be slicing up, but I mostly only eyeball the quantity of greens in cups.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Is it food? Did you eat it?

Then it counts.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I count everything that goes in my mouth no matter what it is a piece of fruit to a tic tac period!

I don't always log regular coffee, but I drink it black with artificial sweetener, so I consider the 5-10 calories as in my 'margin of error' :)
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    I don't understand this idea of picking and choosing what to log and what not to log. Doesn't leaving out any food (regardless of the reason for doing so) kind of negate the whole purpose of calorie counting? Wny go to all the trouble of weighing/measuring/logging your intake, only to leave some out? Doesn't make sense to me.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    Calories count! Count em all.
  • gekcsk
    gekcsk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Nothing is free. I am on WW but I use the old points plan...when you had to count your fruit. I count everything. Works so much better for me.:drinker:
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Log them!

I've eaten 434 calories worth of FRUIT and VEGGIES already just today!
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I was curious about the comparison for a while and logged on both MFP and WW. I found that if I stayed at my points target I was almost exactly at my calorie goal on MFP. It was never off by much, always less than 50 cal. Of course that does not figure in any of the weekly points WW gives you because I rarely used them. I limited my fruit to 2 servings a day to keep from throwing myself way off target because the calories do add up.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I log all of my fruit, but i won't kill myself to get specific about veggies... i pretty much bunch them all in together; if i made a stir fry and used about half a cup of mixed greenish veggies, i will call it all broccoli instead of counting out each mushroom, each celery, etc I'll be withing 50- calories in the meal as long as i don't ignore outlier (like avocado's or even carrots that are calorie heavier than the average veggie)

I'm a little less strict about my tracking though because i know everything will have variances so even if i weigh each ingredient, I'm still working with averages.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wish you didn't have to log them, but you do! I've consumed 549 calories of fruit/veg as of 11:30 this morning. On a limit of 1200, it gets a bit rough, but you have to be honest with what you logging or your numbers won't be accurate.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    I do. I'm counting calories, not points :-)
    Add to that I could probably eat 1,000 calories in fruit a day without even thinking about it!
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I count everything. I even weigh out spinach.. Which is silly.. But I get a kick out of seeing how much I can eat.
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Log it. If it goes in your mouth, then it should be logged.

Yep, I always say "If it goes in your mouth, it goes in your diary."
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    ive had 326 calories in fruit and veg today, this is typical sometimes its more but rarely less, thats 2282 cals per week, why would you even consider not logging this, it defeats the whole point of being on this site and logging? :noway:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Me. They have calories. This is a calorie counting website. They are in the database. SO I coun't them.