Progressive Overload, the best?

dtrmcblo
dtrmcblo Posts: 6 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
It has been a month since I took into heart this way of training and man the results I see in the mirror and in the bar are greater than the past 2 years combined. Thoughts?

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Progressive overload is the only way to get really strong. Other forms of periodization just use progressive overload in cycles rather than linearly but they are basically using the same concept. Modified block training programs, block periodized programs, etc... are all just ways of manipulating progressive overload. There is a very specific reason for this and if you are interested in learning about it you should read "Practical Programming" by Mark Rippetoe as a starting point. Then I would read "Periodization- Theory and Methodology of Training" by Vladimir Zatsiorsky.

Keep up the good work. I am assuming you are running Starting Strength or Stronglifts at the moment?
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    I'm not sure if its the best but it is the way I've always trained and will continue to train. Always be adding more weight. Kinda my take on always be be closing lolol
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Yes, if you don’t find ways to stress the muscle more, it won’t adapt.

Congrats on the recent results!
  • dtrmcblo
    I really think I'm in love with this :) . been running a stronglift like program but I do upper-lower-rest then repeat. My goal is just to look good since I was a skinny 110 lber before. But as I found out, the only way for me to getting mass is by progressing on the load and not on a typical bb pump style training. But my mind's not close though, how can those very high volume light weight training make some people huge?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    <-- I got your progressive overload right here.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    dtrmcblo wrote: »
    I really think I'm in love with this :) . been running a stronglift like program but I do upper-lower-rest then repeat. My goal is just to look good since I was a skinny 110 lber before. But as I found out, the only way for me to getting mass is by progressing on the load and not on a typical bb pump style training. But my mind's not close though, how can those very high volume light weight training make some people huge?

It doesn’t. They start with a good base from years of training. What you’re seeing with those isolation movements is the fine tuning they do to bring out the minute weak areas. Focus on heavy, good form, low to moderate reps. Build that base.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    dtrmcblo wrote: »

It may be a coincidence, but those "very high volume light weight training" folks tend to be very far along in their lifting careers and tend to be taking a very high volume of drugs too. And what's "light" for them still tends to be fairly heavy. They might be only squatting 225 or 315 but they'll do it for 20, 30 reps with little rest. (just as a random example).

No natural lifter that I've ever seen has gotten good results from doing lots of light volume. If that were the case, Jillian Michaels videos would be the epitome of bodybuilding.
  • dtrmcblo
    Ahh very knowledgable insights from all of you. Thanks. Looks like this progression overload is the only way to go for now as long as the results keep coming. :)