a female who wants to start lifting heavy things

Options
Shiggysho
Shiggysho Posts: 27 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, I want to start a weight training program probably about 3x a week for now. Does anyone have a good guide they can share? I have never lifted before.

Replies

• kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, and New Rules of Lifting for Women are all highly recommended on MFP. Personally, I did Stronglifts for a year and enjoyed it. I started NROL4W in February and have just started Phase 3 of that program, and I am loving it so far. Stronglifts and NROL4W are both recommended at 3x a week.
  • shelbeaowen
    shelbeaowen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Okay, first of all, GREAT CHOICE!!! Haha, weight lifting is the best thing ever! I learned to weight lift because of my sister. She taught me all I needed to know. It releases so many endorphins and you start to shape up FAST. My advice would be to get with someone who can teach you how to do it just once or twice, and then from there on, do it on your own. You don't have to do it everyday, I usually do it every other day or once every two days. But, seriously, if you commit to this, your body will love it and start to get good and curvy. Happy weight lifting!!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, and New Rules of Lifting for Women are all highly recommended on MFP. ... Stronglifts and NROL4W are both recommended at 3x a week.

There are a few groups on MFP focused on women's lifting programs. When starting out focus primarily on form before adding weight. Youtube has plenty of good videos on all compound lifts and good form. Also bodybuilding .com has All Pro's routine. It's a 3 day full body routine for beginners.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Okay, first of all, GREAT CHOICE!!! Haha, weight lifting is the best thing ever! I learned to weight lift because of my sister. She taught me all I needed to know. It releases so many endorphins and you start to shape up FAST. My advice would be to get with someone who can teach you how to do it just once or twice, and then from there on, do it on your own. You don't have to do it everyday, I usually do it every other day or once every two days. But, seriously, if you commit to this, your body will love it and start to get good and curvy. Happy weight lifting!!

I was going to suggest something similar. Doing a lift wrong can cause an injury so having someone knowledgeable that can correct your form wouldn't be a bad idea.