MFP Premium

Options
oXGetFitBabeXo
oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
So i was wondering.. Does anyone have MFP premium?

I have had MFP since 2011 and if its worked for me i probably wont need the extra features.

Opinions?

Replies

• Kyle0611
    Kyle0611 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just upgraded (literally, like minutes ago). Figured I would try it out for $10 for a month. So we shall see
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am satisfied with MFP as it is I have no desire to pay for it.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    10 bucks a month??? Wow
  • Kyle0611
    Kyle0611 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Preciouskitten: 10 bucks a month or 50 for a year...i didnt want to commit 50, so i figured 10 just to try it out aint too bad.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    it would be cool to have those other features but... naahhh I'll keep my $10 haha
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I really dont have much desire to pay for it either but i was seeing if others had it and what they thought.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Different goals for different days is nice, as well as the gram option vs %, but 10 a month??
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Not getting it right now, app is too buggy for me to justify paying for it...if they cleaned it up I may eventually. Interested in what other people have to say about it, too.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that they're blog about the top reasons to get the premium version is only for premium members.

I suppose my computer could just be broken as well, though.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I don't track macros, only calories, so I don't care about anything involving macros.

The ads don't bother me, but then I use Adblock Plus.

So I don't really see anything of value to buy.
  • darcelchoy
    darcelchoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The premium mfp doesn't offer me anything that I really need at this time.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    no. cost is ridiculous, app is already buggy. Not gonna do it.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    This is, by far, the most widely used website and app that has the most amateur feel to it. It's seriously like a bunch of college kids made it and have been running it. It's constantly "down for maintenance" is not very well laid out, making it difficult to navigate at times.

Seriously, that menu at the top is absolutely terrible.

The rules and moderation of the forums is a joke. There's little flexibility to the logging, database, options, the database is full of garbage and isn't moderated.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Now they're asking us to pay more than a subscription for Netflix for this site?

The thought of it is a joke.

Heck, Strava is a mere $6/month and you get a HELL of a lot more out of it.

You could buy a FitBit for $50. Less than using MFP Premium for a year. More bang for your buck. You even GET something for your money.

Endomondo is a one-time fee of $5.

How about a Planet Fitness membership for $15? Sure, it's a bit more, but you'll get more out of it, even though it's PF.

SparkPeople already has pretty much everything the MFP Premium offers, yet it's 100% free, and the site actually works 99% of the time. It's also well laid out and is easy to navigate.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I still think they'll just keep making the free version more and more unbearable forcing many to either upgrade or jump ship to another site or app. But I'm an optimist.

The only reason why I'm still here are because of the awesome people on my FL. I'm worried that they will do what all "once upon a time, everything was free" apps and do the latter.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Underwhelming premium app is underwhelming. The feature list looks like stuff that's overpriced considering how long many of us have been dealing with perfectly acceptable workarounds. But I'm guessing they'll get more signups from new users than the existing user base.
    • different goals different days -- meh, I'm not an IFer, and while my macro goals vary like higher protein grams / % on intense workout days, it's easy enough to manage as is.
    • macro grams instead of % -- frankly it should just work that way and I don't like the idea of being held hostage over such a simple thing. But assuming you can math, once you do the setup you don't need to worry about it until you change your goals, and even then it's a quick enough fix. I've been working around it just fine for almost 2 years no biggie.
    • exercise calories not messing up calorie / macro goals -- meh, again, this really is such a basic thing and should be included as a free toggle, given that's it's just predicated on MFP's initial dieting plan assuming you eat back exercise calories and don't TDEE. Logging exercise as 1 calorie may not sound like fun, but after being forced to do it for a while it's turned out to be great for my mental health LOL
    • macros on the dashboard -- oh come on, like I'm gonna pay several dollars a month to avoid 1 click are you kidding me?
    • ads -- {sigh} Overpriced for that, considering the other options available.

Given how basic most of these features are, it seems like just a couple of dollars a month would be much more reasonable.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    It's not worth the money to me. I think $10 a year would be more reasonable.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I still think they'll just keep making the free version more and more unbearable forcing many to either upgrade or jump ship to another site or app. But I'm an optimist.

This is my concern. I'm tempted to try it for one month and see how I like it but even them I'm a little iffy.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Any time I run out and grab pizza and wings for the family it's well over $50, so I figure $49/year for a tool to help me meet my goals and stay healthy is a no brainer. I would have liked to try it for a month ($10), but figured I'd then wind up with the annual subscription and would have paid 20% more.

I signed-up for a year of MFP Premium, and have to say I really like several things already.

1. Much easier to enter and change calorie goals (I can set my macros by gram, instead of %) and I can set different goals for different days of the week (i.e. workout/cardio days vs. rest days - which I'm trying to force myself to take).
    2. New Daily Summary Dashboards (I'm now using one that counts down my 3 main macros (Protein, Fat, Carbs) and Calories. Shows the same online or on my App.
    3. Option to not include exercise in my daily goals. This is big because I know my Microsoft Band overestimates (to some degree) calorie burn.
    4. No adds in my News Feed or on my Android App. Nice.

So far, the flexibility of setting my calories and macros (and varying by day) is worth it all right there. I have turned off including exercise in my goals, then changed my goals to use a TDEE calculation for working out as much as I do. For rest days, I've lowered the goals (even though I think TDEE takes days working out into account). But, I can still see my exercise tracked since I want credit for the work.

• chivalryder
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »
    Any time I run out and grab pizza and wings for the family it's well over $50, so I figure $49/year for a tool to help me meet my goals and stay healthy is a no brainer. I would have liked to try it for a month ($10), but figured I'd then wind up with the annual subscription and would have paid 20% more.

I signed-up for a year of MFP Premium, and have to say I really like several things already.

1. Much easier to enter and change calorie goals (I can set my macros by gram, instead of %) and I can set different goals for different days of the week (i.e. workout/cardio days vs. rest days - which I'm trying to force myself to take).
    2. New Daily Summary Dashboards (I'm now using one that counts down my 3 main macros (Protein, Fat, Carbs) and Calories. Shows the same online or on my App.
    3. Option to not include exercise in my daily goals. This is big because I know my Microsoft Band overestimates (to some degree) calorie burn.
    4. No adds in my News Feed or on my Android App. Nice.

So far, the flexibility of setting my calories and macros (and varying by day) is worth it all right there. I have turned off including exercise in my goals, then changed my goals to use a TDEE calculation for working out as much as I do. For rest days, I've lowered the goals (even though I think TDEE takes days working out into account). But, I can still see my exercise tracked since I want credit for the work.

You know what helps me achieve my goals?

Willpower and determination.