Binge Eating Guilt-5 months with no binging, what happened this weekend!?

Options
Hi Pals,

I wanted to share a recent struggle and enormous guilt weighing on me from the weekend. I have a history of binge eating, and I recently made a lot of great changes starting in January. My binging has been under control, and I've lost 45 pounds in the last 4.5 months. I feel amazing. Well, I FELT amazing, until this weekend I just let go of everything I've been working towards! It was strange, it was almost like I reverted to the old Savannah mindset and nothing was even striking me as "no, you shouldn't be eating this", I was ignoring all concept of calories and nutrition. I think what is making me feel worse is that I let it carry over into my morning today, and I started my day out with a high-cal Starbucks drink, a breakfast sandwhich, and 2 Danishes. I feel like such a slug, and am so disappointed in myself. I realized that I needed to reach out to my support group before I am derailed even further.

Now I am at this point of I recognize my poor choices and am now extremely anxious and stressed about how to fix what I've done. Have I sabotaged myself so that I won't reach my goal weight by the end of July (my birthday) ? How many calories do I need to burn each day this week to get back to "ground zero" ? It's an overwhelming feeling, I hate that I behaved this way after all of my weeks of habit and discipline. Just reaching out for some support and logical advice. I try to hold very high standards and I missed them greatly over the past 4 days.

Thanks for listening..

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    You've got 12 weeks until the end of July - you can still make a ton of progress in those 12 weeks. One weekend has not sabotaged all your hard work. Really, it won't.

What could sabotage your hard work is over-reacting and you are very wise to reach out and get yourself grounded again.

Don't beat yourself up any more, instead focus on the future and think back to what has worked for you. Double down and keep your chin up, you'll be fine!

Whatever you do don't try to starve yourself now or punish yourself with extra-ordinary exercise to make up for it - there's no point and doing so might set yourself up for failure. Instead put extra effort over these next few days into eat rationally and totally healthily. Perhaps you have a favorite ultra-healthy meal or meals you can incorporate into your next couple of days -- you probably know what I'm talking about, something that tastes good, provides really good nutrition, that you really like and afterwards you go "yes" inside. Eat that. Take the time to eat well and eat right, and your body and mind will thank you for it.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I doubt that 1 day will mess up all your progress. Chalk it up as having a "bad" day and get right back on track.
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    You've got 12 weeks until the end of July - you can still make a ton of progress in those 12 weeks. One weekend has not sabotaged all your hard work. Really, it won't.

What could sabotage your hard work is over-reacting and you are very wise to reach out and get yourself grounded again.

Don't beat yourself up any more, instead focus on the future and think back to what has worked for you. Double down and keep your chin up, you'll be fine!

Whatever you do don't try to starve yourself now or punish yourself with extra-ordinary exercise to make up for it - there's no point and doing so might set yourself up for failure. Instead put extra effort over these next few days into eat rationally and totally healthily. Perhaps you have a favorite ultra-healthy meal or meals you can incorporate into your next couple of days -- you probably know what I'm talking about, something that tastes good, provides really good nutrition, that you really like and afterwards you go "yes" inside. Eat that. Take the time to eat well and eat right, and your body and mind will thank you for it.

Its not over! I have done this, thinking I have undone months of hard work. But the wright comes back off within a week if I behave myself.

Lots of love your way. Let's keep going. :)

• jenblanton411
    jenblanton411 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to do great Savannah! Like you I am bad at binging- I am actually cutting out my "trigger" foods as we speak- Also, like you if I give in for even 1 day I am a goner. A lot of people don't understand- "everything in moderation" and all that jazz- I have to treat my trigger foods like an alcoholic treats a beer- If I have just one, I am done! Putting up this post is a great way to help you get back on track!
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I doubt that 1 day will mess up all your progress. Chalk it up as having a "bad" day and get right back on track.

i agree. forgive yourself and move on. every day is a new day.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It's one day. If you have a one pound per week goal, that means a 3500 calorie deficit each week (500 per day). Eating 3500 over goal for one week is maintenance (if at one pound per week ... it takes even more at one and a half or two pounds per week) and it takes exceeding that by quite a bit to undo any progress.
  • savannahdougherty7
    savannahdougherty7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all, these posts really boosted my spirits and I feel like I can easily be back on track now! :)
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    One day will not ruin all your hard work, get back to it this week :)