weight lifting

Options
luvlymeh
luvlymeh Posts: 12 Member
I'm starting to work out a bit more, but I'm doing all cardio. When first starting out what is your take on cardio and weight lifting? Also what kind of weight lifting helps with your butt?

Any suggestions help.

Thanks in advance : )

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My take is you should to both as part of a well rounded fitness regimen. You should do an actual program...it takes quite a bit of knowledge to program a routine so you should use one that is already established. New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good place to start...Strong Curves is also a good program and will have plenty of movements to help shape your butt.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I ran when I first started out. Then the pendulum swung over to lifting, which I prefer. Now I do both. (still prefer lifting). I started with Stronglifts.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have always been more of a cardio bunny, mostly running but I also taught some cardio box classes at our local Y. I just recently started New Rules of lifting for women and I absolutely LOVE it!! I've done some weights in the past, but never really had a good grasp of what I was doing, I really enjoy having the program decide what I'm doing each day.
    I also recommend doing both, cardio because it's good for your heart and overall health, but weight lifting for body reconstruction. There are so many incredible women on these forums that can prove how weight lifting works!! If you look around you will see some really amazing strong and sexy female bodies!!
  • WSOX37
    WSOX37 Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    Add
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    stronglifts 5x5 is a good program to start with.

I did 30DS for 2 rounds and walked then I started lifting.

I added in Cardio about 8 months later...just walking and biking

But this year I am adding in running.

For your butt...squats...heavy squats.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    In for StrongLifts. Some women who want to focus on the bootay like to do strong curves. This young lady blogged about doing strong curves:

https://sardelsa.wordpress.com/
  • luvlymeh
    luvlymeh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys. All of this definitely helps.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I am starting out with Stronglifts and adding the C25K in between. I may look into some of the other programs as well. I have New Rules for women and that may be something to switch to in the future.
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I agree with the recommendation of StrongLifts. It's simple and effective. As far as the butt ... I believe that squats are the answer to all of a girls' problems ... heavy squats ... oh, and deadlifts ;)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    I am starting out with Stronglifts and adding the C25K in between. I may look into some of the other programs as well. I have New Rules for women and that may be something to switch to in the future.

small piece of advice..if you are just starting on SL 5x5 don't add in c25k yet...give it some time to get used to the workouts and the form and the weights...