Water "enhancers"... thoughts?!

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine for you. No, it doesn't count towards water intake. If that was the case, everything could count towards your water intake as most drinks start out as water.

That is where my confusion comes in and the purpose of this question.

I know :) And that's the answer I think is true. For what it's worth, I don't think any cats will get murdered if you do log your flavored water as water or anything. The way I look at it is that when a doctor says to drink 8 cups a day of water, he doesn't mean drink 16 cups of diet soda which may have 8 cups worth of water in it. A stretch I know and not the same thing, but you have to figure out where your line is on what you call water. I keep it simple. If it's water, it's water. If it's flavored, it's not. I don't even track my water intake as I drink too much to have to worry about it.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes. Pretty much anything that contains water can be used as water.
    Basic anatomy and physiology.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    The only thing I drink is water and sometimes I add the orange flavored Mio to shake things up :)
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Is a teabag a water enhancer then? :drinker:

Mmmm, loving this Earl Grey water enhancer!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

So if you drink a diet soda, you count that as water?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Of course you can. It's mostly water. That's basic chemistry/biology.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine for you. No, it doesn't count towards water intake. If that was the case, everything could count towards your water intake as most drinks start out as water.

Yes it does count towards water intake. All liquids do... yes, even coffee and it's not dehydrating in normal amounts like people seem to think it is. Sure, don't get all your liquid intake from pop and coffee but adding flavour to water can still be tracked as water.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Well, my body does so I figure I should too.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I used to use crystal light all the time, just to have a "kool-aid" type of drink ready in the ridge. After a while i think i just got tired of it, i guess the chemical type taste or whatever. Just me i guess. But i drank it because it was sugar free!
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was previously involved with two medically supervised weight loss programs and both stated that any decaffeinated drinks can count towards daily water intake. I can't handle the taste of plain water so drink Crystal Light all the time. ~
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Try using natural flavor enhancers such as berries, lemon juice or cucumbers.

^^This.

Aspartame is the devil. =)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    sometimes I use water fkvors from Trader Joes or Starbucks. Cane Sugar and natural flaovors. when I am on a hike or working out sometimes I need the little sugar boost.
  • ayedemi17
    ayedemi17 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have tried the Crystal Light as well as the Mio. The Crystal Light made my joints hurt...I am not sure what made them do that, but as soon as I quit drinking it...it stopped. However, I LOVE MIO! I really like the energy kind for the caffeine. It has helped me cut out soda and coffee completely. They also make other flavors that I have been able to find for pretty cheap on EBAY. Just a thought...hope it helps :)
  • tubbytuker
    tubbytuker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I add a little cranberry juice to water for flavour - can you keep a bottle of cranberry juice cold and then just add enough to colour it! It tastes great and is also good for you! Re Crystal Light, watch the chemicals! A few sprinkles of it in your water will give flavour and not too many chemicals - aspartame is not good for you!
  • BrattiAtti
    Options
    I was previously involved with two medically supervised weight loss programs and both stated that any decaffeinated drinks can count towards daily water intake. I can't handle the taste of plain water so drink Crystal Light all the time. ~

I [ab]use the energy drink packets that do contain caffeine plus stuff, so I do not count them in my water intake. I drink enough tap, though, that it really doesn't matter. I counted in the flavored water when I lived in an area with horrible pipes, but I feel "cleaner" now that I get to consume lots of plain old water in addition to my treats.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I thought as long as it was sugar free and caffeine free it was okay to count it as water. I might suggest you get one of those sports bottles that have their own water filter (britta, bobble). Would that clean up the taste from the water fountain enough? Then you don't have to worry about whether or not adding the flavoring counts.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think the sugar free drinks like Crystal light were linked to weight gain. I try to avoid them but they're probably fine. The 5 calories surely won't make a difference.
  • cressievargo
    Options
    I have tried the Crystal Light as well as the Mio. The Crystal Light made my joints hurt...I am not sure what made them do that, but as soon as I quit drinking it...it stopped. However, I LOVE MIO! I really like the energy kind for the caffeine. It has helped me cut out soda and coffee completely. They also make other flavors that I have been able to find for pretty cheap on EBAY. Just a thought...hope it helps :)

What's so bad about coffee (just curious). It's natural. Mio contains ingredients you can't pronounce, and food coloring (which if you look up how they make food dyes...nasty!).
  • cressievargo
    Options

The joint pain probably comes from the aspartame. It does that to me, too.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    My favorite water enhancer is Ice cream, Woops oh wait a minute,