does anyone drink wine on a 1200 calorie diet, I miss it with my pasta.

Options
gracenp
gracenp Posts: 2 Member
My name is Grace and I have 20 lbs to lose on 1200 calories a day and I like wine with dinner.

Replies

• cmgmoo
    cmgmoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do but only one glass once or twice a week. Entering my exercise calories gives me extra food calories to play with.
  • gracenp
    gracenp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I haven't added my exercise,but will start. birthdays make it hard, tired of water
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I will have it depending on the day. But I usually leave it for special occasions and like cmgmoo says I get in my exercise calories so I can enjoy myself.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    gracenp wrote: »
    My name is Grace and I have 20 lbs to lose on 1200 calories a day and I like wine with dinner.

If you only have 20 lbs to lose, how much of a deficit did you set MFP up for? At 20 lbs you should be set for no more than 1 lb/week, and after another 5-10 lbs you should change it to 0.5 lb/week.

Additionally, if you are using MFP the way it was designed, you should be eating back at least a portion of your exercise calories, which should give you more calories to work with.

Lastly, I don't know your stats (height/weight/activity level) but anecdotally I lost 1 lb/week fairly easily at 1500 net cals/day, and I drank a glass of wine almost every day. Now I'm losing/maintaining around 1700 net cals/day and I still have wine daily, many times gelato too.

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    gracenp wrote: »

If you only have 20 lbs to lose, how much of a deficit did you set MFP up for? At 20 lbs you should be set for no more than 1 lb/week, and after another 5-10 lbs you should change it to 0.5 lb/week.

Additionally, if you are using MFP the way it was designed, you should be eating back at least a portion of your exercise calories, which should give you more calories to work with.

Lastly, I don't know your stats (height/weight/activity level) but anecdotally I lost 1 lb/week fairly easily at 1500 net cals/day, and I drank a glass of wine almost every day. Now I'm losing/maintaining around 1700 net cals/day and I still have wine daily, many times gelato too.

Thanks for beating me to it.

Also...I net around 1600 cals a day and drink wine when I'm in the mood to. It's all about budgeting for the calories, yo.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I am on about 1350 / day. I drink wine when I want to - and make room for it. Sometimes I may go over my calories a little for the day - not on a regular basis, but life would be sooooooooooooo sad with no wine.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about your goals, you'll find a way to live without it.
  • pintorocket
    pintorocket Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your wine. Life is short. A little goes a long way on a 1200 cal/day diet (that's my eating plan, too.) I think part of losing weight is learning how to do it in a positive, non-punitive way. Wine's low in calories. Not the most nutritious choice, but if it makes you happy and works within your daily calories, think of me raising a glass along side of you--because that's just what I'll be doing 2-4 nights a week :)
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    joeboland wrote: »
    If you're serious about your goals, you'll find a way to live without it.

Why not work the calories in if she enjoys it?

There are plenty of people here who are "serious about" their goals and budget in wine or other items they enjoy.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Also, MFP seems to put a lot of users in a totally *kitten*-backward mentality: you should be eating to fuel your workouts, not working out to earn rewards/treats like a dog. The question people should ask themselves is this: are you working out with the goal of being the healthiest and strongest version of yourself, or are you working out as a means of being able to "earn" extra calories every day? If it's the latter, you're just setting yourself up for failure in the long run, and I'd say go ahead and eat/drink whatever you want to. Have that beer, that extra hamburger, and don't worry about looking to others for validation in doing it.</rant>
  • faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Stress is detrimental to weight loss, if having a glass of wine helps with that, go for it, as long it's in your calorie allowance. Last I checked, red wine in moderation is still good for your heart ;-)
  • webrat_jen
    webrat_jen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i also love wine.
    having a light meal can help your calorie budget,
    such as salad with fish, or a stir fry.
    but the biggest tip i can offer is clear out a bit of freezer space and buy 2-three single bottle serving (with screw tops) and enjoy the contents but keep the bottles. you can then open a regular bottle of wine, and freeze the rest to remove the temptation to have another glass. remember to leave plenty room for the ice to exspand, usually about an inch and half from the top.
    you will get harmless sediment at the bottom of frozen wine (so not great for offering guests), but it is ready cold from the freezer, and tastes just the same as when the wine was first opened.
    this works best for wines or rose. for reds, you would have to leave it out somewhere warm for longer.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,140 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Also, MFP seems to put a lot of users in a totally *kitten*-backward mentality: you should be eating to fuel your workouts, not working out to earn rewards/treats like a dog. The question people should ask themselves is this: are you working out with the goal of being the healthiest and strongest version of yourself, or are you working out as a means of being able to "earn" extra calories every day? If it's the latter, you're just setting yourself up for failure in the long run, and I'd say go ahead and eat/drink whatever you want to. Have that beer, that extra hamburger, and don't worry about looking to others for validation in doing it.</rant>

0q55axeilvt4.gif
    How are those Twizzlers working out for you?
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I mix white wine 1/2 and 1/2 with club soda. There is a brand of wine here in Canada called "Skinny Grape" that is a calorie-reduced wine that hits the spot for me. Obviously I am not a wine snob, lol.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

• truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Before rant, check OP profile...
    Oh, she's 73 years old...
    Drop the gym rat mentality and be encouraging...

"Gracenp, you can absolutely have a glass of wine with your pasta!!!"

Have a great day!

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I don't understand why these are mutually exclusive. I enjoy working out, and one aspect of my enjoyment means that by working out, I am elevating my TDEE which enables me to enjoy the foods (and beverages) that I love in moderation without worrying about compromising my weight loss success.

• skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Unless you're a fitness competitor or model, there is nothing wrong with a hamburger, chocolate, or drink every once in awhile. Even they go off on their diets at times.
    If you have the caloric allowance, then allow it. Living in fear of food is not the way to be, learn moderation and be a bit more active, and you'll find there is a balance.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm on about 1200 calories and I build my cherished Reisling into my count for the day. There's nothing wrong with drinking any alcoholic beverage in moderation, as long as it doesn't cause you to go over your caloric allowance.
  • acamicia143
    acamicia143 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your wine. Life is short. A little goes a long way on a 1200 cal/day diet (that's my eating plan, too.) I think part of losing weight is learning how to do it in a positive, non-punitive way. Wine's low in calories. Not the most nutritious choice, but if it makes you happy and works within your daily calories, think of me raising a glass along side of you--because that's just what I'll be doing 2-4 nights a week :)

Lol agreed I'd rather drink my dinner in a wine glass lol. Or cut Down the portion size of pasta to substitute the vino. (ever try spaghetti squash instead... Yummm) A glass or 2 a week definitely can't hurt. Just think of the heart benefits it has as well. Anything in moderation is OK. Good luck