When will I start noticing?

Options
I'm 5'3" and 164-ish pounds. I've lost 11 pounds so far but I don't really look or feel any different? How much am I going to have to lose before I look in the mirror and go "wow, Maced! You sure look less gross than when you started!"?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is answerable without a crystal ball. Too many variables.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 20 pounds (nearly to goal) and my eyes still play tricks on me. I have to rely on photos. Do you have some before & current photos you could look at to compare? Feel free to share them with us too.
  • lmr3722
    lmr3722 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It can be difficult to judge your own progress by looking in the mirror, at least for me. I definitely go by the way my clothes fit and my energy level. I do sleep much better at night, too.

Do not worry, just keep going. And I agree that photo comparisons of yourself help as well.
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Honestly, other people will notice before you do.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Awesome user name!

Also, I'm guessing that at your height/weight, you should be noticing soon. Invest in a tape measure so that you can reaffirm your brain that you're on the right track.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are your clothes getting looser?
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    When you get new clothes
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's been 20 lbs, and I've just started noticing when I look in the mirror. Other people started commenting after 15 lbs. It can really vary from person to person, especially if you tend to wear baggy clothes.

Take pictures, and use that tape to measure every week to 2 weeks, and be patient. Good luck!
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    9 lbs for me, I see nothing. Clothes don't feel looser, I'm just as grossed out by the mirror as always. Other people are starting to make comments though, so there must be some sort of change, I guess.
  • UltimateTrashBae
    UltimateTrashBae Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support, guys. I'll take an after picture to go with my before picture in the morning. Maybe you can see what I can't.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    "looking gross" isnt that a bit hard on yourself?

People that have to much weight dont look gross to me. They look overweight thats all.

Gross to me is people who are wearing dirty clothes, look like they dont care them self or celan them self, have a smell, etc
    skinny or fat...now that is my definition of gross.

Not having to much pounds on your body.

Brush up your self image :) Respect your self for who you are...and yeah when you want to lose weight do so....but dont find your self gross!
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    That question was on "Family Feud" one night, and the question was... How much weight do you have to lose before someone notices? The number one answer was.... wait for it... 15lbs.
  • tmorm
    tmorm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You will notice more through your clothing than by looking in the mirror, your clothes will start becoming baggier and baggier until they will eventually fall down lol, I was lucky I had a friend who told me off for wearing my fat clothes when I obviously (to her and everyone else) was getting far too small for them. To be honest, one thing that no one really mentions is that you don't actually see the weight loss yourself, it takes a long time. I have lost over 20 kg now (in the last 3.5 months), and I still look in the mirror and see the old fat me. The odd time I can see myself how I actually look now, and I suppose it gets better over time, but for the most part, my mind still sees my body the way it was.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,945 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 164-ish pounds. I've lost 11 pounds so far but I don't really look or feel any different? How much am I going to have to lose before I look in the mirror and go "wow, Maced! You sure look less gross than when you started!"?

I'm 11.5 kg down (approx 24 lb or so) ... and I don't see a difference yet.

The only thing is ... winter is coming here, so last night I tried on all my fleecy vests. Last spring, when I stopped wearing the fleecy vests, they were getting pretty snug. In fact, there were a few I couldn't wear anymore ... could not get them zipped up. Last night, however, I was able to zip them all up! Only one was still just a touch snug ... most of the rest were actually just a little bit roomy.

So there must be a difference. :)

• _m0lly
    _m0lly Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    it-takes-4-weeks-for-you-to-notice-your-weight-loss-tile_thumb2.jpg

I recently saw a fitnessprofile post this on instagram. I kinda disagree, I lost quite a lot in the first month but I didn't notice that quickly. I think it finally hit me when somebody I hadn't seen for months and months commented that I looked like I'd lost a lot of weight. 21lbs down and now I can really tell a difference!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Awesome user name!

Also, I'm guessing that at your height/weight, you should be noticing soon. Invest in a tape measure so that you can reaffirm your brain that you're on the right track.

I agree with this, measuring is the only way to get a clear view of where that weight has come off.

Keep at it, you will soon start to see it and congratulations on your loss :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,945 Member
    Options
    _m0lly wrote: »
    it-takes-4-weeks-for-you-to-notice-your-weight-loss-tile_thumb2.jpg

I recently saw a fitnessprofile post this on instagram. I kinda disagree, I lost quite a lot in the first month but I didn't notice that quickly. I think it finally hit me when somebody I hadn't seen for months and months commented that I looked like I'd lost a lot of weight. 21lbs down and now I can really tell a difference!

Yeah, I've been at this for 12 weeks ... I don't notice and I don't think any one else notices either.

• UltimateTrashBae
    Options
    Awesome user name!
    Thanks!
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Are your clothes getting looser?
    Not that I can tell but I normally wear baggy clothing. I'm not exactly comfortable with my skin.
    "looking gross" isnt that a bit hard on yourself?
    Brush up your self image :) Respect your self for who you are...and yeah when you want to lose weight do so....but dont find your self gross!
    Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm trying to be less hard on myself. I just feel... grody in general.
  • UltimateTrashBae
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here's what I've got for my weight loss. I took the current pictures right after waking up this morning.
    [Edit : The picture saved weird. The text on it moved. :P Fixing it.]