Cleanse/Detox Questions

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    BramageOMG wrote: »
    Detox/Cleanse Diet: lower in calories; cut out refined sugars, soda, packaged foods and unhealthy snacks, sodium, alcohol, and anything cooked. Encourage lots of fruits, vegetables, water, and tea. Remove all processed foods from your diet.

What does this detox or cleanse, exactly?

Well, it clearly detoxes you from anything delicious.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I think you've gotten the message about the concept of a "detox" or "cleanse". And I don't have any first hand experience with this, but I have seen others post on MFP about elimination diets where they try to identify a culprit that may be causing them some undesirable issues. I am sure this would best be done under the guidance of a registered dietician, but there are probably some likely culprits that you could find through some basic trial and error on your own.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    svgomez wrote:
    Before ya start judging and saying detoxing/cleansing isn't good. I've done some research already.
    I don't want to do those fad juice cleanses (I know they're no good). I just want to clean up my body.
    Stop smoking, take a shower, brush your teeth, eat less food that's processed and more food that's natural.
    Seriously, that's all the 'cleansing' you need.
    If your liver, lungs, kidneys, colon, and skin aren't working to remove toxins on their own, you'll be
    very sick, probably in ICU. There's not much you can do to help their function, other than drinking
    enough water and eating nutritious foods.

I get really bloated sometimes, headaches and I usually take a while in the rr
    Headaches are pretty generic & common.
    Bloating & constipation can often be solved with more water & fiber... see above, about eating more
    food that's natural. Vegetables & fruits are mostly high in fiber. Beans, lentils, whole grains.
    You could even do a week or 2 of metamucil once a day, just to get back on track, until your new
    better diet starts taking effect.

I want something natural that will help me clean my liver, stomach, etc. ...
    i know that the body has its own way of flushing toxins out. Anyone have any suggestions on how
    to [?] this? Something that is not frowned upon or dangerous to the body.
    Water. (Though in excess it is dangerous.)
    Stop putting in actual toxins (smoke being the biggest you've mentioned), start giving your body
    the things it needs to rebuild & be healthy, stop worrying about the fad 'toxins' that don't exist.
    Your body doesn't need any more help than that.
    The liver & kidneys are not like sponges that need to be rinsed in clear water once in a while.

Here's more information, since you've gotten partway there (learning that 'cleanses' are bunk), but
    not really believing it or understanding how the body works.

From Sara
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/821828

From SideSteel
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/toxins-the-new-evil-humours/
    http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/the-detox-scam/
    https://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-detox-delusion/
    https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/fashionable-toxins/
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/detox-diets/faq-20058040
    https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You do realize that your body detoxes all by itself right? BTW, WTG on the quitting smoking!
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Try just a simple green tea, or even regular tea and coffee. All of these are full of anti-oxidants (which help reverse any kind of bad side effects of smoking eventually).
  • KathyMBragg
    KathyMBragg Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you don't have cirrhosis or fatty liver, your liver should be working fine. Bloating and long bathroom stays could mean you need more fiber. Bloating from water retention, add some lemon juice to your water. I don't think stomachs need cleaning ;/ But if you wants a good natural flushing out maybe prunes or prune juice.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Before ya start judging and saying detoxing/cleansing isn't good. I've done some research already. I don't want to do those fad juice cleanses (I know they're no good). I just want to clean up my body. I do drink and smoke, occasionally, but I'm turning over a new leaf and I decided to stop doing that. I get really bloated sometimes, headaches and I usually take a while in the rr. I don't want to just drink a certain liquid all day. I want something natural that will help me clean my liver, stomach, etc. catch my drift? I still want to eat healthy during the day. I just want like an extra boost to help get rid of anything that isn't helping me. and yes i know that the body has its own way of flushing toxins out. Anyone have any suggestions on how to this? Something that is not frowned upon or dangerous to the body. I do drink plenty of water, no coke or other carbonated drinks.

I appreciate any honest answers but if you can't help please shy away from commenting.

You should get a high colonic.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Just once I wish someone would tell me specifically what toxins they are trying to clean out.

Duh, the toxic ones like alcohol, you know the ones your body never gets rid of ever ever and that's why everyone who has ever had a drink is still drunk.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Just once I wish someone would tell me specifically what toxins they are trying to clean out.

Duh, the toxic ones like alcohol, you know the ones your body never gets rid of ever ever and that's why everyone who has ever had a drink is still drunk.

The only way to flush it all out is drink a shot of apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper before sucking on a lemon and sacrificing a chicken.

Otherwise the toxinz build up and cause a yeast infection in your bloods.
  • sofaking6
    Options

The only way to flush it all out is drink a shot of apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper before sucking on a lemon and sacrificing a chicken.

The lemon must be soaked overnight in bitters or it won't work. Or is that for hiccups?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

The lemon must be soaked overnight in bitters or it won't work. Or is that for hiccups?

No, that's for a delicious cocktail, I think. But then you're putting the alcohol back in and the whole sorry cycle starts up again...

Anyone want another martini?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I think you're actually thinking of lead poisoning. But you gotta rub essential oils all over your temples and squirt the bitters-soaked lemon juice directly into your nose via a nettipot.
  • Asiya481
    Asiya481 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    mccraee wrote: »
    I would just start eating well and drink a bunch of water. You will feel better very quickly
    Before ya start judging and saying detoxing/cleansing isn't good. I've done some research already. I don't want to do those fad juice cleanses (I know they're no good). I just want to clean up my body. I do drink and smoke, occasionally, but I'm turning over a new leaf and I decided to stop doing that. I get really bloated sometimes, headaches and I usually take a while in the rr. I don't want to just drink a certain liquid all day. I want something natural that will help me clean my liver, stomach, etc. catch my drift? I still want to eat healthy during the day. I just want like an extra boost to help get rid of anything that isn't helping me. and yes i know that the body has its own way of flushing toxins out. Anyone have any suggestions on how to this? Something that is not frowned upon or dangerous to the body. I do drink plenty of water, no coke or other carbonated drinks.

I appreciate any honest answers but if you can't help please shy away from commenting.

drink some aloe vera gel three times a day. and garcinia tablets with a healthy diet :smile:
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Asiya481 wrote: »
    I would just start eating well and drink a bunch of water. You will feel better very quickly

drink some aloe vera gel three times a day. and garcinia tablets with a healthy diet :smile:

No.

Gross.

MhhiF.gif
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Please read the full post before commenting. I stated that I'm turning over a new leaf, I won't smoke anymore. I know it's bad. So thats out of the picture.
    Second, I was thinking of something like a tea in the morning or I've heard of apple cider vinegar in the mornings has shown improvements in some people's health. I just want more info. I don't believe in doing a 3 day thing or 7 day thing and eating nothing. I know the body still needs nutrients.

Congratulations on deciding to stop smoking and to stop drinking.

The only thing that will detox you from smoke chemicals is to stop smoking (and you have). I don't think alcohol has toxins, but tit's the overbuild of it that can cause toxicity in your blood (alcohol poisoning). Again, if you feel this is your situation, stopping is the answer.

I have no judgment, but I will tell you the truth: there is no tea or vinegar or anything else that will detox your body because peeing and pooping does this for you. :)

Good luck to you!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Hello

I know unicorns don't exist, but I'd really like to ride one so can you tell me where I can buy one

If you can't tell me where I can buy one then please don't comment
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Please read the full post before commenting. I stated that I'm turning over a new leaf, I won't smoke anymore. I know it's bad. So thats out of the picture.
    Second, I was thinking of something like a tea in the morning or I've heard of apple cider vinegar in the mornings has shown improvements in some people's health. I just want more info. I don't believe in doing a 3 day thing or 7 day thing and eating nothing. I know the body still needs nutrients.

Green tea is nice in general and has antioxidants. Tea with lemon is refreshing, but the acid is horrible for your teeth. Vinegar is a complete, Total waste of time AND bad for your teeth. Actually tea is acidic too.

Really, water is all you need now that you've quit smoking. If you want to relax in a sauna occasionally, that is a nice feeling, although don't believe anything they say about sweat flushing out toxins. It just feels good.

Massage is also an option.

Basically it sounds like you want that feeling of freshness. Water, sauna, massage or meditation is what I'd recommend. The rest is just snake oil.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Asiya481 wrote: »

tumblr_nceoanKHJM1tjk7guo1_500.gif

• steph01510
    steph01510 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yogi makes a nice detox tea. A good probiotic will help rebuild or fortify your gut (reduce bloat) . Vega Nutritional powder is awesome as a meal replacer/ nutritional booster. Its allergen free. Your bloating may be caused by food allergies. Get tested or do the illimination diet. Good Luck.

Nice job quitting smoking!!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Hello

I know unicorns don't exist, but I'd really like to ride one so can you tell me where I can buy one

If you can't tell me where I can buy one then please don't comment

I love you Rabbit :)