soo ive been doing really well lost 8lbs last two weeks but...

Options

Replies

• JillSMcColl
    JillSMcColl Posts: 7 Member
    Options

What's wrong with candy/cookies in the context of a balanced diet? Or a soda now and then?

I eat cookies and ice cream almost daily and I'm still losing weight consistently.

Alyssa,

I would say eating cookies and ice cream almost daily is not healthy. Regardless of whether or not you may be losing weight consistently, too much sugar is harmful to your body.

If you put your self at a high calorie deficit, you will lose weight, regardless of what you eat, you could eat a donut every day and still lose weight. But theres no way that could be considered "healthy".
  • timetochange2015jks
    timetochange2015jks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    DMLC2014 wrote: »
    That isn't enough calories for breakfast or lunch! Not good to starve your body
    I no its not normaly that low but had a mega busy day and forgot my prepped lunch to take to work ! Went down hill from there ! Wont forget again ! :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

What's wrong with candy/cookies in the context of a balanced diet? Or a soda now and then?

I eat cookies and ice cream almost daily and I'm still losing weight consistently.

Alyssa,

I would say eating cookies and ice cream almost daily is not healthy. Regardless of whether or not you may be losing weight consistently, too much sugar is harmful to your body.

If you put your self at a high calorie deficit, you will lose weight, regardless of what you eat, you could eat a donut every day and still lose weight. But theres no way that could be considered "healthy".

How about an apple a day? there is more sugar in an apple than in 3 chips ahoy cookies. Just sayin'.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Why would you possibly feel guilty for eating a pancake or a muffin?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Alyssa,

How about an apple a day? there is more sugar in an apple than in 3 chips ahoy cookies. Just sayin'.

This.

In the context of a balanced diet, one in which the individual meets protein and fat requirements and in which the individual has no health reasons to specifically avoid sugar, having a serving of cookies or ice cream each day is harmless.

You could even go so far as to argue that a daily treat (or more, if you have the calories) can improve mental health, which is important, too.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Alyssa,

A single doughnut within the context of an entire day's intake? Sounds like a perspective check is in order here. There's no particular reason why a doughnut-a-day is particularly unhealthy.

Sugar isn't poison, as such.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating the other half of my medium salted caramel truffle blizzard from Dairy Queen for dinner tonight. No shame. I'll still be under my calorie goal for the day. :wink:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I posted this in a similar thread earlier today:

Step 1: stop looking at food in terms of good and bad. It is just food.
    Step 2: figure out an appropriate calorie deficit and a total calorie allowance based on your goals
    Step 3: figure out how to fill that calorie allowance with foods you enjoy and that keep you satisfied
    Step 4: every week try adding new foods to expand your choices - some weeks more vegetables, some weeks more proteins, eat something different for breakfast, etc.
    Step 5: don't get frustrated if you exceed your calories, just get back on plan as soon as possible
    Step 6: report back when you've hit your goals

There is nothing wrong with a muffin and pancake. Many people here have been very successful continuing to eat all the foods they love just in moderation. You can, in fact, eat a donut every day and still lose weight AND be healthy. There is nothing inherently unhealthy about muffins, pancakes, donuts, etc. Or sugar in general for that matter.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I focus on deficit and completely alien for me to feel guilty about food above or below deficit. I do try and savour plus eat more slowly the food I get to eat.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    "had consent to go in husbands treat draw"

Oh my, I wasn't aware people had a his and hers food...that they had to ask 1st (don't tell that to my husband)! :astonished:

• owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My daily treat is my Belvita breakfast biscuits I have with my morning coffee. They contain a lot of sugar, but I always stay within my goals, so i don't really care.
  • owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Lexicpt wrote: »
    I plan on eating the other half of my medium salted caramel truffle blizzard from Dairy Queen for dinner tonight. No shame. I'll still be under my calorie goal for the day. :wink:

I'm not sure what that is, but it sounds pretty amazing!
  • timetochange2015jks
    timetochange2015jks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    "had consent to go in husbands treat draw"

Oh my, I wasn't aware people had a his and hers food...that they had to ask 1st (don't tell that to my husband)! :astonished:
    Haha I made it when I started my health kick change as he literally eats what he wants without gaining a cm I figured if the "treats " he has are out of my sight I wont be as tempted clearly didnt work!
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This feeling of "guilt" over eating something is completely foreign to me. I will eat whatever I want and log it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Alyssa,

You might say that, but there is no proof that within a balanced nutritionally sound diet there is anything wrong with sugar

I eat ice cream and crisps virtually daily ...and hit my macros and micros ...that is extremely healthy

So ...yes ...way!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Alyssa,

Hush now, you unhealthy beast
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just ate a muffin and pancake , came in under my cals but feeling really guilty for eating them ! Anyone else slipped up or allow themselves treats as long as its under cals ? Dont no why but makes me feel real guilty lol !

Try to view your diet as a whole...there are no "good foods"/"bad foods"...there are only good diets and bad diets.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    No guilt necessary!
    I've lost 46lbs since the beginning of January. I have a Chunky Kit Kat 2-3 times a week. Over Easter, I had a Reese peanut butter egg before bed every single night. I stay within my calorie budget and lose consistently every week :smiley:
  • BeginnersBootcamp
    BeginnersBootcamp Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This is normal at first! I have only been doing it about 2 months now, but the first time I ate something "unclean" I felt SO bad, guilty, and I thought I would go back to my previous weight. Once you wake up the next day and realize you didn't gain 100 pounds from a muffin, you'll be okay :) Just keep it going the next day! And the next. Hang in there and don't let food control you
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just had a six inch Italian hoagie and I still hVe calories left! I had a great breakfast, decent lunch, and I just worked for 14 hours. I'm starving!