How do I log whole chicken?

Options
knt217
knt217 Posts: 115 Member
I bought my husband a smoker for Christmas, and he just finally put it together and wants to smoke a chicken. I have it ready to go in, but I don't know how to count it? It's whole, so skin on and bones in...does this add anything to the meat (the way cooking a breast with oil would add to my count?) if I cut my portion off the chicken and eat just the breast meat?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Search the database for whichever part of the chicken you're eating and smoked. Such as "Chicken, breast, meat only, smoked." You can weigh it and get a pretty good estimate. If they don't have smoked, I'm sure roasted would be comparable.

If you eat it with the skin, you should be able to search for the same entry and add "with skin" and it'll come up. Just be sure to weigh it for the most accurate measurement possible.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, cooking with skin on does add some fat to the meat, but it's pretty much impossible to log unless someone somewhere made an entry labeled "x chicken part, cooked with skin on, eaten with skin off". ;)

Personally, if not eating the skin, I'd weigh the piece I'm eating and log the entry as a piece of chicken without skin, then maybe quick-add 50 extra calories or so, just to be safe. :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Theres lots of barbecued chicken entries, the big difference besides bones and meat only entries is whether you include skin or not. the skin has a lot of fat in, so eat it without the skin, unless you have the calories to spare.
  • gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The simplest thing to do is to weigh what you eat after cooking, and multiply that by the appropriate calorie content of the part that you ate. For example, the USDA database gives a calorie count for roasted chicken breast (meat only) as 165 cal/100g or 47 cal/oz. Smoking should be the same as roasting in terms of the cooking method. It reports a calorie content of 197 cal/100 g (56 cal/g) for the same breast meat with skin on.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Whatever piece you cut off for yourself, weigh that, choose the appropriate entry and done. Bones don't count, unless you eat the bones

that