Sleep and the work week

I know most people have more trouble staying on track on the weekends, but I have the opposite problem. During the work week I am so damn tired, and when I get home all I want to do is eat. I prep meals for the week (tonight was salsa chicken, yum) so that helps a little, but my body craves chocolate and yucky carby starchy food. I had to meditate today to talk myself out of an Arby's sandwich! Lol! Does anyone know of any remedies to curb cravings like this? Does it eventually just go away?

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Honestly, I've found the only solution is to get more sleep. It takes a lot of mental resources to create new habits and stick with them, and not enough sleep just zaps the mental resources you do have. Maybe prioritize sleep first, and then work around that.
  • mamabear1114
    mamabear1114 Posts: 140 Member
    Honestly, I've found the only solution is to get more sleep. It takes a lot of mental resources to create new habits and stick with them, and not enough sleep just zaps the mental resources you do have. Maybe prioritize sleep first, and then work around that.

That makes sense. It is hard to stick to something if you don't have a lot of time to devote, but I will make more time! Thank you for your insight!
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    this is something that is incredibly tough around my house. Between caring for the animals at the house, the horse at the barn, the kid in baseball, the other kid, my wife is in school (on top of working) and I have a 4 hour round trip commute. It takes a lot of juggling things around and on days we know we are going to be very busy often times we just use a crock pot so dinner will be ready when we get home. The downside is once all the running around is done and we are "settled" in at home. I am hungry! All I want to do is eat. First, though I drink about 20 oz of water and let it settle because most likely some of my hunger feeling is simply dehydration. I try to save myself a couple hundred calories for a small snack. Skinny Cow has some tasty chocolate sweets that fit the bill perfectly. I also drink coffee or tea to help curb some of my hunger. If I'm really hungry, I'll turn to vegetables. They fill me up quick and are very low calorie
  • okicorrals
    okicorrals Posts: 3 Member
    I have had a similar habit that developed since I was young and I think it stems from always snacking when I got home from school. (Mom always had a snack for us) But anyway one thing that helps me is to have a healthy snack ready when I get home to satisfy that craving. I try to have fruit (pineapple, watermelon or berries) or protein balls ready to eat for when I get home and after dinner snack.
  • mamabear1114
    this is something that is incredibly tough around my house. Between caring for the animals at the house, the horse at the barn, the kid in baseball, the other kid, my wife is in school (on top of working) and I have a 4 hour round trip commute. It takes a lot of juggling things around and on days we know we are going to be very busy often times we just use a crock pot so dinner will be ready when we get home. The downside is once all the running around is done and we are "settled" in at home. I am hungry! All I want to do is eat. First, though I drink about 20 oz of water and let it settle because most likely some of my hunger feeling is simply dehydration. I try to save myself a couple hundred calories for a small snack. Skinny Cow has some tasty chocolate sweets that fit the bill perfectly. I also drink coffee or tea to help curb some of my hunger. If I'm really hungry, I'll turn to vegetables. They fill me up quick and are very low calorie

The crock pot is really a lifesaver for the working class isn't it? Lol but the water thing is so true. I had not thought of that before! I will try these things! Thank you for your advice!
  • mamabear1114
    okicorrals wrote: »
    I have had a similar habit that developed since I was young and I think it stems from always snacking when I got home from school. (Mom always had a snack for us) But anyway one thing that helps me is to have a healthy snack ready when I get home to satisfy that craving. I try to have fruit (pineapple, watermelon or berries) or protein balls ready to eat for when I get home and after dinner snack.

Yes, you are probably right, because I come right home, change and hit the gym without eating a snack. I am probably going way too long without eating in the afternoon and setting myself up for failure. Thank you for the insight!