Will I still lose?

Options
MK24551
MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
Hi everyone, I am still new to this. I have been at it for alittle over 2 wks, lost 5.6 lbs so far and feel really good about that. My question is... Will I still lose weight eating what I want, while staying under or at my calorie goal? This seems way to easy! LOL
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yep. Weight loss is all about how much you eat. Of course, people think that's saying "eat McDonalds and pizza all day every day under your calories!", but you definitely want to focus on nutrition as well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Absolutely. But keep in mind that you should still aim to get adequate nutrients to keep your body running strong. Personally, i follow the 90/10 rule. 90% of my foods come from nutrient dense foods and the rest fun.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    what they said. Nutrition kind of comes first for me or I keep to minimums because im also interested in health as well as weight loss. Be pepared for your weight loss to slow and not to panic.
  • RedRaven49
    RedRaven49 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this, I was wondering myself!
  • MK24551
    Options
    I'm starting off taking baby steps :) I can't cut out everything at once so I am focusing on making better choices and cutting my portions in half. In the past I have tried to cut everything and all I did was binge and give up. I have been walking almost everyday and will be adding more to increase weight loss. This has been fun :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's the way it works.

Amazing, isn't it?
  • MK24551
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Amazing, isn't it?

LOL It seems way to easy! Why did it take me so long?!

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MK24551 wrote: »
    I'm starting off taking baby steps :) I can't cut out everything at once so I am focusing on making better choices and cutting my portions in half. In the past I have tried to cut everything and all I did was binge and give up. I have been walking almost everyday and will be adding more to increase weight loss. This has been fun :)
    Honestly, unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to cut out anything, just reduce the quantity. For me, I replaced more starchy carbs with proteins/fats because the proteins and fats fill me up more. I still eat candy/chocolate but I eat it in smaller quantities.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Amazing, isn't it?

I wondered the exact same thing.

You don't have to be miserable to lose weight. It took me a while to wrap my head around that.
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good approach. For many changing cold turkey can cause a 'rubber band' effect and you actually end up worse off than when you started. Dial it down day by day, week by week, then hold strong once you've gotten to a nutrition plan you can live with.
  • MK24551
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Honestly, unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to cut out anything, just reduce the quantity. For me, I replaced more starchy carbs with proteins/fats because the proteins and fats fill me up more. I still eat candy/chocolate but I eat it in smaller quantities.

Thank u! This is a new and exciting journey for me :)
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My guess is nutrition will mean more and more to you as you go. As you track your foods and see how many calories or macros the junk foods eat up you will likely want to eat better foods so you don't kill your goals too quickly each day.

Also, the closer you get to your goal the harder it will become too lose weight. Nutrition will become even more important at that point.

That's great you are quickly losing weight. Keep up the great work!
  • overlook237
    overlook237 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Amazing, isn't it?

That's what I've been asking myself since I started here! :) In the past, I always cut out so many things I loved to eat because I didn't think I could lose weight while still eating them. Eventually, I'd eat them, feel like a failure, and give up. But since I started weighing/measuring food, logging it into MFP, and staying within my calorie goals, I've worked them right into my meal plans and lost weight! (...and I sound like an infomercial, LOL). Best of luck to you! :)
  • MK24551
    Options

Amazing, isn't it?

That's what I've been asking myself since I started here! :) In the past, I always cut out so many things I loved to eat because I didn't think I could lose weight while still eating them. Eventually, I'd eat them, feel like a failure, and give up. But since I started weighing/measuring food, logging it into MFP, and staying within my calorie goals, I've worked them right into my meal plans and lost weight! (...and I sound like an infomercial, LOL). Best of luck to you! :)

thank you! :)
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 3 months now and I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I can eat "junk food" and still lose weight. I've always just had this idea that I have to eat only salad and celery in order to lose weight. I've eaten chocolate every day for the past 3 months (some days a significant amount!) and I've still lost 30 pounds.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Amazing, isn't it?

You don't have to be miserable to lose weight. It took me a while to wrap my head around that.
    I think it's because we are so used to having people look at us eating a snickers bar and they just have to comment crap like, "oh, I thought you were on a diet"
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Amazing, isn't it?

I think it's because we are so used to having people look at us eating a snickers bar and they just have to comment crap like, "oh, I thought you were on a diet"

That's been happening to me. I love it when they say that and I get to reply "Yes I am! 2lbs lost last week" then their face falls, no more smug grins, except the one from me.

• owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    laropmet wrote: »

Amazing, isn't it?

That's been happening to me. I love it when they say that and I get to reply "Yes I am! 2lbs lost last week" then their face falls, no more smug grins, except the one from me.

Love doing this too. I had a muffin at work the other day and everyone was like 'you can't eat that!' "Er, yes I can. 17lb lost in 8 weeks *kitten*!"

Haha.

It's all about moderation. Eat what you want, just stick to your calorie goal. And obviously eat healthy too.