need support - anyone Dealing with narcolepsy?

kfitt1
kfitt1 Posts: 11 Member
Anyone trying to balance a career, staying healthy, and combating narcolepsy? Add me!

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    That must be a real challenge. How does it impact a workout?
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    kfitt1 wrote: »
    Anyone trying to balance a career, staying healthy, and combating narcolepsy? Add me!

I don't usually friend people (more of a loner on here - only friended one person, and well, he lives with me so that is why) but know you are not alone - I have narcolepsy too, and I know I have seen at least one or two others on here. It is a tough balance but it can be done - I have lost 70 lbs in the past year. I wish that the change in diet and exercise helped with it at all but at least for me I haven't seen a difference - I am exactly the same on the narcolepsy side of it. But at least I feel healthier otherwise, so it is still beneficial. I know one of the side effects possible with my meds is loss of appetite (I am on Adderall - can't take Provigil or Xyrem unfortunately) but I have never seen that one.
  • kfitt1
    That must be a real challenge. How does it impact a workout?

It is hard to get motivated to work out. I have to deal with constant exhaustion. It is said if you stay up for 48 that's how someone with narcolepsy feels all the time. Sometimes it can make you super hungry too. It is hard after a long day at work (I am a teacher, so kids are exhausting themselves!). I try to nap at least one a day during the week. My husband is super supportive in helping me be accountable for working out. I'm losing weight gradually bit after 3 weeks of working out I don't really feel a boost in energy. Was really hoping I'd start to feel that working out
  • kfitt1
    kfitt1 wrote: »

I don't usually friend people (more of a loner on here - only friended one person, and well, he lives with me so that is why) but know you are not alone - I have narcolepsy too, and I know I have seen at least one or two others on here. It is a tough balance but it can be done - I have lost 70 lbs in the past year. I wish that the change in diet and exercise helped with it at all but at least for me I haven't seen a difference - I am exactly the same on the narcolepsy side of it. But at least I feel healthier otherwise, so it is still beneficial. I know one of the side effects possible with my meds is loss of appetite (I am on Adderall - can't take Provigil or Xyrem unfortunately) but I have never seen that one.

OK so me not feeling the increase in energy might be normal. I'm on Ritalin. My job is very stressful and I have to take medicine so I can sleep through the night. In hoping to find a way I can work part time in the future to have more naps in the day.