Struggling with sodium and sugar!

Options
AshleyCMoody
AshleyCMoody Posts: 144 Member
edited May 2015 in Getting Started
This is driving me crazy. I'm not eating fried foods or desserts or chips or anything that would strike one as a high sodium/sugar food but I'm constantly way over my sugar and sodium goals. It seems like the days I'm on lower on one I'm higher on the other. Has anyone figured out how to keep these under control?

Replies

• arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    The sugar may be from fruit you're eating. I don't worry about the sugar and am not paying much attention to the salt even if I should be. So, I haven't figured it out.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    MFP sets these automatically for everyone, and they really don't mean anything. Unless you have a health issue where you need to avoid one or the other, just increase the limits and don't worry about them.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I watch my sodium and it is a struggle. There is sodium in almost everything that we eat.

If you eat a lot of prepackaged food or restaurant food...that is where most of it comes from. I now mostly cook everything that home in order to control it.

Saturday I ate two meals out and my sodium level was at what normally I would consume over a two day period.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I watch my sodium and it is a struggle. There is sodium in almost everything that we eat.

If you eat a lot of prepackaged food or restaurant food...that is where most of it comes from. I now mostly cook everything that home in order to control it.

Saturday I ate two meals out and my sodium level was at what normally I would consume over a two day period.

Sodium is used as a preservative, which is why it is found in so many foods. Again, unless you are watching your blood pressure, or have another health issue a doctor has warned you to watch your sodium intake for, you don't need to be as stringent as the preset MFP limits.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    Wow. It's crazy how much sodium is in foods we are not even aware of. I was wondering about the sodium and sugar goals that have been preset by this app, but I know having too much of either increases health risks and would like to keep both at an appropriate level. Figured this app was giving me a guideline for what those levels should be at. Definitely not something I want to ignore.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    And yes, I do eat a lot of fruit and Greek yogurt. Definitely contributing factors to my sugar intake. It is frustrating because I have a sweet tooth and am already making a huge sacrifice not eating sweets.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Sodium is used as a preservative, which is why it is found in so many foods. Again, unless you are watching your blood pressure, or have another health issue a doctor has warned you to watch your sodium intake for, you don't need to be as stringent as the preset MFP limits.

Actually I have high blood pressure which is why I try to control it. My limit is set to 1500...some days...well...I just don't even come close to keeping it that low.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    do you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar? If no, then there is no reason to avoid sugar….
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options

Yeah, that's what I was telling my boyfriend too when we had a discussion about it. But don't you think there should be some type of limitations?
  • Greenkat57
    Greenkat57 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to watch my sodium due to health issues.

I was shocked, too, by how much sodium I was eating, and that was AFTER I started this, stopped eating fast food, fried food, and salty snacks. I can barely stay under my 2300 g allowance daily and often go over.

It is frustrating. However, one of the things I have learned is this whole eating thing is a learning process. I have learned a lot just by reading posts for 10-15 minutes/daily. There's good information here. Go into some open diaries to get ideas of how to reduce your salt...and sugar.

Like I was told to eat protein at every meal...including light turkey & ham lunchmeat. Was NOT told to ask for low sodium...just 'light' versions. Altho still high in sodium I cut the amount in half from what I did used to buy/eat.
    I also wash off canned vegtables before cooking them to remove sodium. Prefer fresh, but not always feasible.

Just remember...'progress, not perfection' and 'information is education.'

Good luck!

Kathy
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yeah, that's what I was telling my boyfriend too when we had a discussion about it. But don't you think there should be some type of limitations?

no …like cindy said unless you have a medical condition or high blood pressure there is no reason to...
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    Greenkat57 wrote: »

I was shocked, too, by how much sodium I was eating, and that was AFTER I started this, stopped eating fast food, fried food, and salty snacks. I can barely stay under my 2300 g allowance daily and often go over.

It is frustrating. However, one of the things I have learned is this whole eating thing is a learning process. I have learned a lot just by reading posts for 10-15 minutes/daily. There's good information here. Go into some open diaries to get ideas of how to reduce your salt...and sugar.

Like I was told to eat protein at every meal...including light turkey & ham lunchmeat. Was NOT told to ask for low sodium...just 'light' versions. Altho still high in sodium I cut the amount in half from what I did used to buy/eat.
    I also wash off canned vegtables before cooking them to remove sodium. Prefer fresh, but not always feasible.

Good luck!

Kathy

Thanks, Kathy. That is great advice.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Obviously some, but you can avoid a lot of the sodium by not eating canned vegetables or eating the salt-free types. Fresh or frozen will be your best bet. Any time you buy foods that are 'reduced fat' or the like, those foods are going to have higher salt and sugar because something has to replace the fat for flavor in the food. Read labels on things like bread, to find the kinds that have less sodium and sugar. Making your own yogurt can help with less sugar.
    Fat really gets a bad rap, which is ridiculous, because fat is good for you and your body needs it. Going for low-fat and fat-free ends up giving you high-sodium and high-sugar options.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    do you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar? If no, then there is no reason to avoid sugar….

My mom has diabetes that she got later in life due to high sugar intake as did her mom. I don't want to let myself get to that point. And my dad has high blood pressure. Even though I don't suffer these afflictions currently I don't think it's wise to ignore my intake of substances that increase my risk for these conditions.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    Obviously some, but you can avoid a lot of the sodium by not eating canned vegetables or eating the salt-free types. Fresh or frozen will be your best bet. Any time you buy foods that are 'reduced fat' or the like, those foods are going to have higher salt and sugar because something has to replace the fat for flavor in the food. Read labels on things like bread, to find the kinds that have less sodium and sugar. Making your own yogurt can help with less sugar.
    Fat really gets a bad rap, which is ridiculous, because fat is good for you and your body needs it. Going for low-fat and fat-free ends up giving you high-sodium and high-sugar options.

Hmm I never considered that. Really good point. I will start watching out for the nutrition facts more on these foods. Didn't know you could make your own yogurt. That's pretty cool.
  • ndj1979
    Options

My mom has diabetes that she got later in life due to high sugar intake as did her mom. I don't want to let myself get to that point. And my dad has high blood pressure. Even though I don't suffer these afflictions currently I don't think it's wise to ignore my intake of substances that increase my risk for these conditions.

if you eat in a deficit and maintain a healthy weight then you should not be at risk for getting diabetes…you don't have to restrict sugar. I probably eat 100 grams of added sugar a day and my blood work is nearly perfect every year...
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Greenkat57 wrote: »

Good luck!

Kathy

You do know they have them with low sodium and no sodium options, right? Rinsing them really won't save you the sodium, because the canning process makes the sodium a part of the food itself.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options

if you eat in a deficit and maintain a healthy weight then you should not be at risk for getting diabetes…you don't have to restrict sugar. I probably eat 100 grams of added sugar a day and my blood work is nearly perfect every year...

Yeah, that's true. My mom and grandma were both obese when they got diabetes. I'm nowhere near that point.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Yeah, that's true. My mom and grandma were both obese when they got diabetes. I'm nowhere near that point.

yep, hes' definitely right. Keep yourself on the right track and you should be fine. you can find a good yogurt maker on amazon for about $30, by the way. Easy directions come with it. :wink:
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    Cool, thanks for the tip.