Feeling self conscious in the weight room

Options
2»

Replies

• williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    ahh I remember when I use to be self conscious starting out. You could always get a friend to show you some basic workouts or just watch youtube for tips. Don't be ashamed if you have to look at the instructions on a machine, that's what they're there for! Honestly, nobody really cares what you do as everyone is there for themselves and not to judge you. Work yourself into weight training and you'll look back at this post and go "damn, what was I so afraid of?"
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    *shrug* I just walk in like I own the place.

This!

I was initially intimidated by the amount of weight people were lifting. I could barely lift the bar. Now, I do what I need to do. There's always people that can out lift you and look better doing it.

Having said that, I found there are people that are willing to help others out. A simple "what does that exercise do?' will almost always relax both parties and help you gain important lifting advice. More or less. Lol
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I had the same sort of mind set OP, was scared to walk in there and do my thing.

Get an MP3 player or something, some ear buds and just walk in with a clear plan of what you're doing.

Once you start going regularly you'll probably start getting "wassups" from people...
  • livinmydreamsthruJesus
    livinmydreamsthruJesus Posts: 38 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Be confident with yourself, knowing THEY had to start in the gym too. They didn't wake up one day strong and slim. Don't worry. Most the time, people don't care, they care about themselves and how they are working out. <3:)
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    no one is judging you! just get in there and do your thing. just research and plan your workout. if you want to work on arms and shoulders, plan out what lifting exercises you're going to do (youtube if need be to see proper form) and then get in there and do it!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    *shrug* I just walk in like I own the place.

This is what i do. If you don't have real confidence, fake it till you make it. I put my headphones in and walk in with razorsharp focus and resting *kitten* face.