How long it takes to get out of shape

tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
If you're thrown by illness or whatever, this is it

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-out-of-shape/2015/04/14/1e37a764-dcbd-11e4-a500-1c5bb1d8ff6a_story.html

"The first thing to slide is your aerobic fitness. After 10 to 14 days with little or no physical activity, the body’s ability to effectively consume and use oxygen, sometimes referred to as VO2 max, begins to decline... Studies show “notable reductions in VO2 max within two to four weeks of non-training, mostly due to decreased cardiac output and decreased blood volume,”

"Muscles

Detraining has a less immediately dramatic impact on muscular strength and endurance. During the first few weeks off, the effects are slight, Matthews says. After about four weeks off, however, muscle fibers begin to shrink, and sometime between then and eight weeks, that decline becomes measurable, Zimmerman says. Your muscles will feel less firm; those six-pack abs might start to sag a bit. But this, too, is reversible."

"How do you stop the slide? The answer is both harsh and obvious: Try not to stop exercising in the first place. Of course, if you are seriously injured or very ill, by all means rest. (And remember, too, that rest and recovery are a vital part of any exercise regimen.)

But there are a number of exercises you can do that are less taxing to your body and schedule. If you can’t run, you might bike or swim or even just walk. Add stairs to your daily routine. Or if you are able, do squats or light weightlifting, even using common household products, such as cans of food. If that’s too strenuous, try a chair workout."

Replies

• tomatoey
    I've been down with something more or less every month or so. discouraging because i feel like i'm always catching up :/ must be patient!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,047 Member
    Interesting. My TKD instructor always tells us not to slack off in term break, because even skimping in those 2 weeks can set you back.
  • tomatoey
    Yeah. I had a bit of a break and I definitely lost some capacity.