How late is too late to send a text or call someone?

Options
blueyellowhorse
blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
Hi guys, I was wondering if there's a certain time when you should refrain from texting or calling. I know everyone is different and has different sleeping patterns, but I'm asking in general, what's a good time to stop out of respect and courtesy? Does that time vary on weekends vs weekdays? Especially if it's someone who's schedule you don't know, because you don't want to wake them up or annoy them.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If it is someone you don't know well enough to know their schedule, I'd say no later than 9pm. Any later than that, and I'd want the call/text to be from someone I know well, or I'd be a little WTF? But I'm a nanna these days.
  • akiba254
    akiba254 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on the content and the person. Someone I like could contact me any time but if its work related then within business hours kind of thing. And the more important or interesting the message the more flexible times can be also. But yeah everyone is different. I know a lot of people who have an any time policy but the catch is they will put their phone on silent and only reply when it suits them.
  • leericle
    leericle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Depends what pic you're sending.
  • Varamyr38
    Varamyr38 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I was wondering if there's a certain time when you should refrain from texting or calling. I know everyone is different and has different sleeping patterns, but I'm asking in general, what's a good time to stop out of respect and courtesy? Does that time vary on weekends vs weekdays? Especially if it's someone who's schedule you don't know, because you don't want to wake them up or annoy them.

Text at any time. If they're going to sleep, they should have their phone on silent or vibrate anyways.

• 19SarahJayne85
    19SarahJayne85 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It depends really. Depends on who it is. I don't like texting someone after 8-9pm not since having kids not sure why! Also I would text after 9am/10am if I knew they were up. My phone is always on quiet and will respond whenever I can. If someone texts me and I fall asleep I will reply round lunch time if I'm unsure of their schedule. I will respect their wishes.
  • kamber13
    kamber13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I agree with 19Sarah... it really depends. Generally, I wouldn't call a parent or relative after 10PM unless it's important, but I call certain friends at 1, 2 AM in the morning. Texting also depends... some people have their phones right by their heads so a text might wake them... then again some people know how to turn down the text notification and still use their alarms....
  • blueyellowhorse
    Options
    KptCirk wrote: »

Text at any time. If they're going to sleep, they should have their phone on silent or vibrate anyways.

They should, key word being should. I've woken a few people up that way. :#
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Even with my phone on vibrate, it irks me if someone texts me late and it isn't important.
  • jlima845
    jlima845 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    leericle wrote: »
    Depends what pic you're sending.

I have to agree haha
  • Varamyr38
    Options

Unless my phone is up full blast when I go to sleep, there's no way I'm waking up. Call as late or as often as you want lol Pretty sure most of the guys in here wouldn't mind if you did.

• blueyellowhorse
    Options

Unless my phone is up full blast when I go to sleep, there's no way I'm waking up. Call as late or as often as you want lol Pretty sure most of the guys in here wouldn't mind if you did.

Lol! Some guys don't like to bothered though. :(
  • burning2much
    burning2much Posts: 4,846 Member
    Options
    Never too late....well almost never
  • Varamyr38
    Options

Lol! Some guys don't like to bothered though. :(

Then they don't sound like too much fun if they can't even be bothered to return a text. Maybe you need better friends lol

• KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Before 8am or any time at night when I'm asleep is the wrong time - if I'm woken up by a phone I either tend to go into panic mode thinking there is some kind of family emergency or respond while essentially still asleep and won't remember the conversation