Why does Pepsi Next and Coke Lite have so many calories in it?

Options
xstephnz
xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
It's sweetened with Stevia, an artificial sweetener, so shouldn't it have a similar amount of calories to Pepsi Max or Diet Coke?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's only partially sweetened with stevia, it still contains sugar. Next to water, Pepsi Next's main ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. So, sugar. Coke green is the same.
  • xstephnz
    Options
    It's only partially sweetened with stevia, it still contains sugar. Next to water, Pepsi Next's main ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. So, sugar. Coke green is the same.

Oh, that is very dumb :( do you know why?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's basically their version of mid-strength beer. Supposed to get some of the crowd who won't drink the nomal stuff because its too high in sugar, but don't like the artificial sweetners. It's a grab for more of the customer base by giving people a lower sugar option.

EDIT: ok, I did look it up and a can of Pepsi Next is 60 cal vs Normal at 150 cal. So I can see the allure, hence the above edit.
  • wendytheroo
    wendytheroo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's the best of both worlds. Tastier than diet, not as much sugar as regular.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »

Why's it dunb to have a version with half the calories? It just means you get less of the stevia taste of a full 'diet' version
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Coke Zero? It's actually pretty good!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

It's like 1/2 the calories of a regular soda...how is that dumb? Not everyone wants full on diet.
  • xstephnz
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

Why's it dunb to have a version with half the calories? It just means you get less of the stevia taste of a full 'diet' version

Because there's still sugar in it, and you still have to count the calories, rather than drinking as much as you'd like. I had one glass today and it was like 90 calories.
  • xstephnz
    Options
    Have you tried Coke Zero? It's actually pretty good!

Is it made with Stevia? I'm thinking of sticking with that because it's supposed to be healthier. The only coke I like that I have tried is Diet Coke. I'm usually more of a Pepsi girl.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Because there's still sugar in it, and you still have to count the calories, rather than drinking as much as you'd like. I had one glass today and it was like 90 calories.

The world doesn't revolve around you...
  • xstephnz
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

The world doesn't revolve around you...

Wtf?