Has anyone here got to a healthy weight with Bipolar/Epilepsy medications or something similar?

Options
xstephnz
xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
I'm on medications that increase appetite and cause excessive weight gain. I'm wondering if anyone has managed to get on top of this, I haven't found much on google or youtube- the one skinny girl with Bipolar that I came across doesn't take medications. I read about one other person who managed to stay in shape and she has to watch her diet very, very closely. She said she can't even drink orange juice, so maybe she has had to dramatically reduce her intake or just doesn't have treats.

Have any of you got Bipolar or Epilepsy or something similar with medications with those side effects? what is your story?

Replies

• TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Tegretol (carbamazepine) and losing weight. It's slow progress, but it's possible. I'm losing more slowly now than before I was taking it, don't know if it's because of the meds though. :)
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm on lamictal and it doesn't really seem to effect me in that way so much. This site seems to correspond with TasnimEz and my experiences.

blogs.psychcentral.com/bipolar/2008/10/preventing-and-reversing-weight-gain-associated-with-psychiatric-medications/

You may ask your psychiatrist about adding Welbutrin to the mix. I don't /know/ that it would help but I get the impression that it would.

I'd say do all the right stuff, log log log, weigh yourself once a week and only once a week. If after 3 or 4 weeks you're not progressing or back sliding tell your doctor that it's not acceptable and you've got to figure out something else. If they're not willing to seriously help find a solution then move on to another... and another... and another.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have to agree on the weighing in only once a week. My weight fluctuates like crazy even though I'm doing everything right, so weighing myself every day is out of the question. I look at the overall progress and try not to think about the short term ups and downs. Lost 14 kgs so far while taking Tegretol.
  • jasfarley93
    jasfarley93 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have epilepsy and am on tegretol and lamotrigine, and am losing weight steadily, I do find that my weight fluctuates a lot so I have started measuring myself as well, which shows I am losing more inches than I am pounds at the moment, but remember that as you build your muscle as well your weight will go up :)
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am on lamotrigine as well and It hasn't made me gain weight at all. I am one of these people who are super careful not to over medicate myself with meds. Its simply not necessary.

As far as that skinny girl that doesn't drink OJ or have treats, everyone has different body chemistry and lifestyle. You don't know if what works for her will work for you too. I cant imagine not having juice or a piece of chocolate every once in a while. Its kind of a "all or nothing" mindset and that tends to not be successful long term for most people. The best thing you can do is experiment and find what works for you.

On a side note, I think part of my issue was caused by hormone imbalance from pcos. Once I was put on metformin its helped tremendously. I used overeat carbs and sugar all the time. That hardly ever happens anymore.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently on any of those medications but I was on several for nerve pain until we found one that worked well for me. Believe it or not, it was Lyrica, and I lost weight on it. The endocrinologist said he's never seen anyone lose weight while taking it. Just proves we are ALL different and respond to drugs differently.

For what it's worth, my appetite increased dramatically on those various other epilepsy meds (prescribed off label), and they also caused a whole host of other nasty side effects for ME, and my weight went way up on them. The cravings for sugar were awful. I ate it right out of the canister sometimes.

I hope you can find something that works with all of your goals. I really do.
  • xstephnz
    Options
    I hope you can find something that works with all of your goals. I really do.

Thank you, you're lovely :)
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Not me personally, but my younger sister. Her circumstances are a little different, but she is a HUGE inspiration to me! She has been diagnosed with everything under the sun: Bipolar, epilepsy, ocd, mild schizophrenia, mental retardation, and one more that I just can't think of right now. Mentally, she is between 8-10 years old (24 years old physically). Poor girl is on so much medication, and the side effects of them have made it impossible for her to feel full. She used to be very overweight. We actually used to catch her sneaking food from the kitchen when she thought no one was paying attention, even right after eating a very large meal. My mom started teaching her to focus on walking and exercise, and what portions are good for her. My sister fell in love with her pedometer and started really working on fitness. She has lost at least 80lbs and LOVES all things healthy now! She no longer sneaks food. If she's under 10k steps for the day, she likes to walk up and down the hallways until she's there. And good lord, now she loves clothes shopping! She started out with a lot of help, but she really started to run with it in her own.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I was on a fairly high dose of Tegretol for epilepsy for thirteen years. Turns out I didn't have epilepsy at all - I actually have a heart condition that was causing oxygen starvation of the brain and therefore seizures - but mum always blamed me being an overweight teenager on the medication (she was a psych nurse so was quite aware of the effects of medications). In hindsight I am aware that Tegretol may have been a small factor, but me comfort eating my way through my parents' divorce and being completely inactive were probably having a far greater impact! And I lost 10kg in one summer at uni simply because I wasn't eating as much takeaway food or drinking as much beer, and I was still on Tegretol.

From what I've read, provided it's not causing fluid retention (like Lyrica does, which my mum is currently on, which is working for her in every other way besides the weight gain), it's about learning to deal with having an increased appetite. For example, bingeing on broccoli is going to be less of a problem than bingeing on chocolate, not just because it's an actual food but also because it's filling, and will probably eventually remove the "reward" component of the craving cycle.

Good luck. You're using a really good tool (MFP!) so that's a great start :smile:
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm on lamotrigine and losing. Low dosage though.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    On standard issue Sodium Valproate for epilepsy 2x500mg a day not really been an issue weight wise but been on it for so long that I barely notice it
  • ruthie1wastie2015
    ruthie1wastie2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on lamotrigine and zonisamide for epilepsy and have wondered before if it caused my weight gain. I am losing though so it's all good :)
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 50 pounds on bipolar medication. I've been on every med in the book. I was over 200 pounds at my highest. The only combo ive found I can lose weight on is geodon an
  • xstephnz
    Options
    Not me personally, but my younger sister. Her circumstances are a little different, but she is a HUGE inspiration to me! She has been diagnosed with everything under the sun: Bipolar, epilepsy, ocd, mild schizophrenia, mental retardation, and one more that I just can't think of right now. Mentally, she is between 8-10 years old (24 years old physically). Poor girl is on so much medication, and the side effects of them have made it impossible for her to feel full. She used to be very overweight. We actually used to catch her sneaking food from the kitchen when she thought no one was paying attention, even right after eating a very large meal. My mom started teaching her to focus on walking and exercise, and what portions are good for her. My sister fell in love with her pedometer and started really working on fitness. She has lost at least 80lbs and LOVES all things healthy now! She no longer sneaks food. If she's under 10k steps for the day, she likes to walk up and down the hallways until she's there. And good lord, now she loves clothes shopping! She started out with a lot of help, but she really started to run with it in her own.

Wow, that is very inspiring. Hugs to her <3
  • xstephnz
    Options
    And I lost 10kg in one summer at uni simply because I wasn't eating as much takeaway food or drinking as much beer, and I was still on Tegretol.

From what I've read, provided it's not causing fluid retention (like Lyrica does, which my mum is currently on, which is working for her in every other way besides the weight gain), it's about learning to deal with having an increased appetite. For example, bingeing on broccoli is going to be less of a problem than bingeing on chocolate, not just because it's an actual food but also because it's filling, and will probably eventually remove the "reward" component of the craving cycle.

I am wondering what changing my habits will do. I was living on a steady diet of takeaways before this, and before that, I would go to the supermarket once or twice a week, and load up on treats like chocolate, chips, dip and popcorn. If I stopped doing all of those things, I should be able to reduce my body weight by at least 20 kilos? (My start weight is about 68 kilos from where I want to be). I think my Bipolar medications are responsible for making me 20-40 kilos overweight. The rest is probably *kitten* habits.
  • xstephnz
    Options
    Woodspoon wrote: »
    On standard issue Sodium Valproate for epilepsy 2x500mg a day not really been an issue weight wise but been on it for so long that I barely notice it

Yeah, I'm on Epilium too. And some other stuff.
  • xstephnz
    Options
    I'm on lamotrigine and zonisamide for epilepsy and have wondered before if it caused my weight gain. I am losing though so it's all good :)
    abble_pie wrote: »
    Ive lost 50 pounds on bipolar medication. I've been on every med in the book. I was over 200 pounds at my highest. The only combo ive found I can lose weight on is geodon an

Thanks guys. That certainly gives me some hope.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    I am wondering what changing my habits will do. I was living on a steady diet of takeaways before this, and before that, I would go to the supermarket once or twice a week, and load up on treats like chocolate, chips, dip and popcorn. If I stopped doing all of those things, I should be able to reduce my body weight by at least 20 kilos? (My start weight is about 68 kilos from where I want to be). I think my Bipolar medications are responsible for making me 20-40 kilos overweight. The rest is probably *kitten* habits.

I think changing your habits will make a huge difference to you. With or without the additional challenge of medication, it's a long journey to teach yourself not to load up on treats. I'm a big comfort eater and used to go to the supermarket specifically to buy crap to binge on, instead of dealing with my problems head-on. And although I do occasionally relapse, I have now been eating healthier foods and moving more for long enough for my body to get used to that being "normal". I still crave those unhealthy foods from time to time, usually when I'm stressed out or feeling down or PMS-ey, but feel a bit yuck when I eat them now, which makes them a less appealing option for the future (haha, at least, in the quantities I used to eat them in!!!). So even if you don't shift the last 20-40kg you suspect are from the meds, you will probably feel physically better, more energetic etc. if you're eating the right stuff and exercising. It sort of gathers momentum, and the better you do the better you feel the better you do the better you feel, and so on. All the best! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!