What do you think?

Do you find it a hinderence or helpful to have a workout partner? On one hand, I feel as if it's helpful because it can be a good sense of motivation to get to the gym and exercise, and perhaps that person can push me. But in a lot of my experiences, I feel like I don't exercise to my best potential when I have someone chatting beside me in my ear. I slack a little.
What are your experiences?

Replies

• 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Personally I don't like having a workout partner. It's hard to find that person that works out exactly like you. I tried walking with a coworker and felt like I didn't get any workout at all and she was winded. I agree that you tend to chat instead of working out.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Solo works better for me.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    I workout with my husband and love it. He pushes me to lift more and is there to spot me. I used to work out solo and found it difficult to lift heavier because of the lack of a spotter. When my husband sees me wussing out he'll point it out to me and encourage me to go harder.

We definitely don't chit chat when we exercise together. We have limited time when we're at the gym and it's all business. If I had a partner who wanted to just chat I'd have to drop them.
  • lurcstet
    lurcstet Posts: 77
    Majority of the time I fly solo, I do prefer to train alone, however my boxing partner I box with once a week is female and is an awesome boxer. I don't mind putting my solo training aside when your training with someone who is driven and pushes you. (And she kicks most of the male gym members *kitten*)
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    I like having someone to help deload and reload the bar. Plus there were many days I wouldn't have lifted if it wasn't for my friends coming over to workout with me.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    It totally depends on the partner and the day. I've had horrid workout partners who weren't dedicated and it gave me the excuse to skim the gym etc too. But those were the old days when I wasn't self motivated.

My current workout partner is fantastic - we push each other to do better all the time and come up with ideas to keep it fresh and interesting and effective. However she does have some physical limitations (hypertension, bad but improving PF) so there are definitely days when I don't always push as hard with her as I might on my own. But honestly I don't mind and she's very understanding if I need to go out for a run or hop on the stairmill instead of stationary biking with her. Most of all, it's much more fun having her to sweat with and having fun definitly helps!! :)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Would wanting a full time spotter count as a workout partner? I don't need someone working out with me, but having a guaranteed spotter is useful.
  • Depends on the partner. I've had some that gave up early, weren't serious, etc. I work out with a friend who is in better shape than me who is close to being Jillian Michaels tough with motivation and it's great - nothing like a kindergarten teacher calling you a pu*** or a b**** to shock you into movement. ;) Also, working out with my SO has helped... other end of the motivation spectrum, 'he believes in me so much, how can I quit NOW?' sort of thing.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Depends on the workout. If I'm lifting weights, a partner is awesome. If I'm doing a bodyweight routine or some other cardio then I'm fine either way.

When you're both motivated it's nice, but when you're the one doing all the motivating it gets pretty annoying.
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    I like having someone who rides with me to the gym so that I can't talk myself out of going. Once I'm there, though, leave me alone, I'll catch you at the doors in 30 or whatever. I don't need a partner, I need someone to make me feel guilty, lol.