Psychology of Running

Options
I love running. I enjoy it when I'm doing it, I feel smugly smug afterwards and for the rest of the day, it clears my head, I get fresh air, it's good for me and keeps me fit. So how come I have to mentally pep-talk myself into it every time, until I force myself out the door? Makes no sense.

Replies

• runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It takes effort and a lot of time from our day. I have to do it straight from work and avoid going home. It's hard for me to leave my house and family for a run, even though I love it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    There are likely a variety of reasons. It might depend on your goals and planning.

You might find this interesting.
    http://psychcentral.com/news/2008/01/10/the-psychology-of-exercise-and-fitness/1771.html
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Snap! I have to tell myself to suck it up and get on with it! It's crazy because I do like it and love the feeling afterwards. It is just the getting changed and out part that gets me. If you find a cure please share it with me :)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my experience, but once I got into the habit of running and IF I went more than one day without it I felt weird. Now I look forward to it. I will say, I go straight from work to the gym so I have no excuses and I can't skip out. Keep yourself pepped up... you are worth it!!
  • Sparkles281
    Sparkles281 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I guess I've been preconditioned to fear running, so literally every time I go for a run I have butterflies in my stomach and feel sick. But I love the way it makes me feel when I get into it and how I feel afterwards. I'm hoping that over time I'll get over the feeling of dread pre run haha!
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    After enough time passes, it should change from something you feel like you have to do to something you want to do. Eventually, it becomes something you need to do. I saw a shirt recently that sort of sums it up: "I run because punching people is frowned upon."
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I guess I've been preconditioned to fear running, so literally every time I go for a run I have butterflies in my stomach and feel sick. But I love the way it makes me feel when I get into it and how I feel afterwards. I'm hoping that over time I'll get over the feeling of dread pre run haha!

I'm the same. I still dread going, but once I start, I'm fine. I've done half marathons and such, but I still hate getting out there. I dearly wish I could feel more positive. I prefer the thought of a killer circuit for 30 min to a 30 min jog. Why?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I don't think it's exclusive to running. I really enjoy getting out on my bike but I often have to force my self to go.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I have those days too. Interestingly, the days when I don't feel like running but I force myself to go, I end up having a fantastic run. I don't know what's up with that.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Not running is easier than running.
  • dobergurl
    dobergurl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    tri_bob wrote: »
    After enough time passes, it should change from something you feel like you have to do to something you want to do. Eventually, it becomes something you need to do. I saw a shirt recently that sort of sums it up: "I run because punching people is frowned upon."

LOVE the quote...
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This happens to me on 100% of my runs. I love it while i'm doing it and for the rest of the day, yet the moment I wake up and it's time to go I look for any excuse possible to stay home. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Glad it's not just me :) I will never understand why mindlessly watching rubbish on telly is preferable to doing something I love and enjoy and reap benefits from. I suppose the trick is to just keep on forcing it. I find before work much easier than in the evenings, but if I need to go at night, I put my running gear on as soon as I get home. That always works, because it would be too tragic to take off my running gear without having been for a run...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    aarar wrote: »
    This happens to me on 100% of my runs. I love it while i'm doing it and for the rest of the day, yet the moment I wake up and it's time to go I look for any excuse possible to stay home. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

<3
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I get these feelings occasionally still even though running is now more than habit for me, it's something I enjoy. The key for me is to start changing into my running gear. As soon as I start to suit up, I'm going running. Never fails. :smile:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I'll find any excuse not to go. It's the same with walking the dog as well as running I just don't want to go. When I do I enjoy it.
    At least with the dog I have to otherwise I'd feel like I'm neglecting him (which is true) and I don't want to do that.