Fasting?

Options
13»

Replies

• abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Meh.
    I fast every Wednesday, the entire 24 hour day with only water, for religious purposes. I've lost 140 pounds - it never slowed me down. I always feel really good the next day- like my body had time to process everything from the rest of the week.
    Ok, you peaked my curiosity. What religion fasts every Wednesday?
  • MrsDangerousCurves
    MrsDangerousCurves Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the alternative day thing or JUDDD. So every other day I'm fasting (water/coffee only) or eating a low number of cals, usually around 300-500. Before I started JUDDD, I was lucky to lose MAYBE .5 a week. Now I'm losing 1+ lbs a week.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    give me more control on my eating habits.
    This is what I've found as well with occasional fasting (although I don't do anything extensive-just skipped meals here and there). I think it is easier to understand when you're actually hungry.
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    no, it puts it into repair mode due to less growth proteins being available.
  • Ephemeral64
    Options
    Meh.
    I fast every Wednesday, the entire 24 hour day with only water, for religious purposes. I've lost 140 pounds - it never slowed me down. I always feel really good the next day- like my body had time to process everything from the rest of the week.
    Ok, you peaked my curiosity. What religion fasts every Wednesday?

Only two that I know of are Hindu (though they usually have one meal in the day) and the Eastern Orthodox Church

Back to topic though, I use the 5:2 diet. Eat normally 5 days a week and consume 600 calories a day on two non-consecutive days, hopefully fasting for 18 hours before eating anything. In four weeks I've lost 13.5lbs, I'm now sleeping better, my blood pressure has dropped into the healthy range and seem more mentally alert at work.

As others have stated, starvation mode only kicks in after an extended period of time so intermittent fasting won't even get near that
  • lillith1991
    Options
    Yup. What I meant about it being different for religious purposes isn't that its better just that its more controled then the average persons idea of fasting. Generally speaking most poeple don't know how to fast properly.
  • watercolorarteest
    watercolorarteest Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Each year our church fasts for 21 days starting January 1st for spiritual breakthroughs (some fast from food, others fast from other life focal points like internet). I did a 21 day (clear) liquid water fast primarily for my faith walk. for two consecutive January's with my church. I lost weight, but that is because that is a natural side effect not because it was my primary purpose. Fasting that long regularly only to lose weight is probably not healthy. I personally do not fear fasting as its Scriptural and for me that's all I need. But also, eating healthy is Scriptural too. Each has its purpose.

I'm not sure about fasting for shorter periods as have others have mentioned for weight loss benefits. If you've got some bad habits (caffeine, sweets, salts, etc), then perhaps fasting from a singular bad habit (while eating healthy) would be beneficial?

Just some thoughts. :)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    There is no way I could fast! I love my food too much!!!
    I don't know how people do it.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    There is no way I could fast! I love my food too much!!!
    I don't know how people do it.

You fast everyday....unless you get up every hour on the hour during the night and eat. Break fast ='s breakfast. And you still eat and eat everything you would eat during the day just in a certain amount of hours. So eat away and enjoy your food. Why is there this misconception about fasting? The only time you give up certain foods or even food at all is when it's for religious purposes. So don't fast for religion but for your health.