12 pounds in 10 days......bad?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 times daily.everyday ive taken in about 120 to 140 grams of protein.would my weight loss be hindered by upping my calorie intake?

The larger the deficit, the faster you'll lose weight. But it will also be more miserable, and you lose more lean body mass. I would suggest upping your calories to an appropriate level, and doing some kind of resistance training. You're going to burn out at 1400, taking care of 5 kids.

Yup 1400 calories is so low....even for me to lose 1lb a week I can eat 1600 and I am a woman....42....and not taking care of 5 kids...imagine how much you could eat...

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You should read through the info in this post, you may find it very helpful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • kickin_bass87
    kickin_bass87 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My goal on my fitness diary is 1800 i been doin the 1400 cause i figured it was ideal.i i up it and do the goal is 1800 ideal?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OP remember larger deficits can lead to quicker stalls.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    My goal on my fitness diary is 1800 i been doin the 1400 cause i figured it was ideal.i i up it and do the goal is 1800 ideal?

Yes.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Yes that would be best. To give you an idea here's my info. I'm 36 y/o and 5ft 11in 182lb. My daily TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is 2800 calories. I eat at 2000 calories for a 1.5lb/wk loss.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Yes...as others have said.

I lose 1/2-1lb a week on 1800...trust the numbers you will lose weight quickly enough on that too...
  • kickin_bass87
    Options
    I have another question if i consume 1800 calories a day and walk, play basketball, or jog should i eat more calories to make up for what i burn or just stick with the 1800 a day?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have another question if i consume 1800 calories a day and walk, play basketball, or jog should i eat more calories to make up for what i burn or just stick with the 1800 a day?

Eat back exercise calories if you like. It's up to you.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options

I credit myself for half of what MFP tells me I burn. If MFP tells me I burned 300 calories on the elliptical, I eat back 150. (if I'm hungry....or just want some ice cream or something).

• karerus
    karerus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1400 calories really isn't enough for you. I only weigh 100 pounds, and I eat around 1370 calories a day and exercise 5 days a week. I would advise you to track your macros, which is (in my opinion) the most efficient way to lose weight. I have a personal trainer and with the macros they helped me figure out I eat 100g of protein, 157g of carbs, and 40g of fat a day and it's been working great for me so far. I would advise you to check out iifym.com if you're interested in learning a little more about it!
  • tpilews
    tpilews Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    karerus wrote: »
    1400 calories really isn't enough for you. I only weigh 100 pounds, and I eat around 1370 calories a day and exercise 5 days a week. I would advise you to track your macros, which is (in my opinion) the most efficient way to lose weight. I have a personal trainer and with the macros they helped me figure out I eat 100g of protein, 157g of carbs, and 40g of fat a day and it's been working great for me so far. I would advise you to check out iifym.com if you're interested in learning a little more about it!

I agree with this. You should really only track calories to make sure you are getting enough and aren't possibly putting your body into starvation mode, which will burn muscle and retain fat.

I'm 6'4", 197 lbs. and eat around 2300 calories. I track macros and shoot for around 144g protein, 180g fat, under 20g carbs.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    tpilews wrote: »
    karerus wrote: »

I agree with this. You should really only track calories to make sure you are getting enough and aren't possibly putting your body into starvation mode, which will burn muscle and retain fat.

I'm 6'4", 197 lbs. and eat around 2300 calories. I track macros and shoot for around 144g protein, 180g fat, under 20g carbs.

No just no.
  • FarmingCozy
    FarmingCozy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Since no one else has said it congrats on your loss! I'd be ecstatic! You are doing a great job!
  • kickin_bass87
    Options
    Im 5'4 and i now weigh 134 my bmi is extremely high.and ive never really cared about what i eat.but ive started this diet and calorie deficit and exercising to create a more healthy lifestyle its not something i plan on doing for a month then stopping.im gonna stick with it.ive even upped my calorie intake to 1600/1800.i dont wanna lose muscle but i really dont have that much to lose.i have a medium build but im really fat and i dont have a problem saying that.the biggest thing i dont like about myself is i have man boobs.im just trying to make the most of what i can.lose as much as i can without hurting myself
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Im 5'4 and i now weigh 134 my bmi is extremely high.and ive never really cared about what i eat.but ive started this diet and calorie deficit and exercising to create a more healthy lifestyle its not something i plan on doing for a month then stopping.im gonna stick with it.ive even upped my calorie intake to 1600/1800.i dont wanna lose muscle but i really dont have that much to lose.i have a medium build but im really fat and i dont have a problem saying that.the biggest thing i dont like about myself is i have man boobs.im just trying to make the most of what i can.lose as much as i can without hurting myself

I think you would be surprised at how much muscle it takes to carry over 200lbs around...at this point in your journey you can retain a lot of it by eating enough and doing resistance training of some sort.

And if you do it slow enough because you are young enough your skin could bounce back...I am 42 and I yo yo'd for 20 years...but over the last 2 I have lost 60lbs and I don't have very much "loose" skin...which is a surprise since I yo yo'd and I am older and had a baby 20 years ago (hence the 20 year yo yo)
  • kickin_bass87
    Options
    I meant 234 is what i weigh.

• I_Will_End_You
    Options

You should definitely look into a weight lifting program.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Keep it up. You get a big "woosh" of water weight in the beginning, then it's going to taper off and you'll lose less quickly. 1400 is very low for a man. You'll still lose off 1800 and be a little happier. Good job you for starting to make healthy changes.