Medically Approved Ways to Boost Metabolism

Options

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    This thread reminded me this website is full of toxic house marms.

i'm not a house marm - but i do wish i was intoxicated.

Just stay away from the margaritas.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    zmusic wrote: »
    The Good Doctors affiliated with WebMD have far more credibility than anonymous posters who have no scientific or medical sources to their unfounded opinions.

lf15-appeal-to-authority.png

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    How did I lose all the weight eating a small breakfast and one huge meal a day?
    I must be special.

Well, to be fair to the OP, they're not saying that not eating every 3 to 4 hours means you can't lose weight, just that it makes weight loss quicker/easier.

Not saying I agree with the OP at all, just that eating your calories in bigger meals and losing weight isn't enough to disprove the point.

I think OP is also arguing that five to six meals boosts metabolism over just eating one meal or three meals, which is blatantly false.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    The Good Doctors affiliated with WebMD have far more credibility than anonymous posters who have no scientific or medical sources to their unfounded opinions.

What is there to post why everyone else agree that you are showing outdated information?

Because he's one of these:
    troll.jpeg
  • ndj1979
    Options

total BS..

I will take the peer reviewed studies on this subject over WebMD..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Thermogenesis+in+humans+after+varying+meal+time+frequency
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I guess though it does depend on what you mean by metabolism. If you mean your ability to lose weight then sure meal size and timing doesn't make a difference. However if you mean how energetic do you feel, that is a personal thing. I find a big meal puts me in a food coma and I get grumpy and tired if i go too long without food. So I have 2 small 300 kcal meals and some snacks during the day and a bigger meal in the evening to balance my energy levels during the day. This maximises my productivity for work and minimises my need for an afternoon nap.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    the real question is...does drinking 12 ounces of wine per day, boost metabolism?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    the real question is...does drinking 12 ounces of wine per day, boost metabolism?

No, just trolltabolism.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I guess though it does depend on what you mean by metabolism. If you mean your ability to lose weight then sure meal size and timing doesn't make a difference. However if you mean how energetic do you feel, that is a personal thing. I find a big meal puts me in a food coma and I get grumpy and tired if i go too long without food. So I have 2 small 300 kcal meals and some snacks during the day and a bigger meal in the evening to balance my energy levels during the day. This maximises my productivity for work and minimises my need for an afternoon nap.

Then the article should say "Medically Approved Ways to Boost Energy." Because energy (how we feel) and metabolism are two different things.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Neither of the things you describe are metabolism, though.

And I'm in, because apparently I missed all the fun yesterday.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Ummm no...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Thermogenesis+in+humans+after+varying+meal+time+frequency
    Ann Nutr Metab. 1987;31(2):88-97.

[Thermogenesis in humans after varying meal time frequency].

[Article in German]

Wolfram G, Kirchgessner M, Müller HL, Hollomey S.

Abstract

To a group of 8 healthy persons a slightly hypocaloric diet with protein (13% of energy), carbohydrates (46% of energy) and fat (41% of energy) was given as one meal or as five meals in a change-over trial. Each person was 2 weeks on each regimen. Under the conditions of slight undernutrition and neutral temperature the balances of nitrogen, carbon and energy were assessed in 7-day collection periods, and according to 48-hour measurements of gaseous exchange (carbon-nitrogen balance method) by the procedures of indirect calorimetry. Changes of body weight were statistically not significant. At isocaloric supply of metabolizable energy with exactly the same foods in different meal frequencies no differences were found in the retention of carbon and energy. Urinary nitrogen excretion was slightly greater with a single daily meal, indicating influences on protein metabolism. The protein-derived energy was compensated by a decrease in the fat oxidation. The heat production calculated by indirect calorimetry was not significantly different with either meal frequency. Water, sodium and potassium balances were not different. The plasma concentrations of cholesterol and uric acid were not influenced by meal frequency, glucose and triglycerides showed typical behaviour depending on the time interval to the last meal. The results demonstrate that the meal frequency did not influence the energy balance.

OP - why do you always do this? You get called out in one thread and then start another ridiculous thread...

Umm, that's terrible evidence.

A nonstat. significant result doesn't necessarily mean no change occurs just that none was found. And given a n=8 and a study period of 2 weeks, it could be methodological. Now while I agree that meal freq isn't that important, this isn't the study proving that.

The study that shows meal freq has impact shows a minor change. That's what is important. If it's a lot of effort to change habits for little result focus your energy elsewhere.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I must be special.

Well, to be fair to the OP, they're not saying that not eating every 3 to 4 hours means you can't lose weight, just that it makes weight loss quicker/easier.

Not saying I agree with the OP at all, just that eating your calories in bigger meals and losing weight isn't enough to disprove the point.

I think OP is also arguing that five to six meals boosts metabolism over just eating one meal or three meals, which is blatantly false.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that the OP was arguing anything else. 'Boosts metabolism' = 'makes weight loss quicker/easier'. The OP is saying you'll burn more calories in the day if you eat more regularly, but they're not saying you can't lose weight if you don't eat regularly.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Only if it's in a mason jar.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A lot of that webmd slide show is correct. It's just very poorly presented, poorly quantified and suggests a lot of things for little actual real results. The single most important booster of metabolism is "move more".

I don't need to exercise, I'm drinking dat der tea with my cell tech. :smirk:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Ummm no...

[Article in German]

Abstract

To a group of 8 healthy persons a slightly hypocaloric diet with protein (13% of energy), carbohydrates (46% of energy) and fat (41% of energy) was given as one meal or as five meals in a change-over trial. Each person was 2 weeks on each regimen. Under the conditions of slight undernutrition and neutral temperature the balances of nitrogen, carbon and energy were assessed in 7-day collection periods, and according to 48-hour measurements of gaseous exchange (carbon-nitrogen balance method) by the procedures of indirect calorimetry. Changes of body weight were statistically not significant. At isocaloric supply of metabolizable energy with exactly the same foods in different meal frequencies no differences were found in the retention of carbon and energy. Urinary nitrogen excretion was slightly greater with a single daily meal, indicating influences on protein metabolism. The protein-derived energy was compensated by a decrease in the fat oxidation. The heat production calculated by indirect calorimetry was not significantly different with either meal frequency. Water, sodium and potassium balances were not different. The plasma concentrations of cholesterol and uric acid were not influenced by meal frequency, glucose and triglycerides showed typical behaviour depending on the time interval to the last meal. The results demonstrate that the meal frequency did not influence the energy balance.

OP - why do you always do this? You get called out in one thread and then start another ridiculous thread...

A nonstat. significant result doesn't necessarily mean no change occurs just that none was found. And given a n=8 and a study period of 2 weeks, it could be methodological. Now while I agree that meal freq isn't that important, this isn't the study proving that.

The study that shows meal freq has impact shows a minor change. That's what is important. If it's a lot of effort to change habits for little result focus your energy elsewhere.

I am at work, so that is the only one I had handy.

I will take it over WebMD any day of the week..

Are you agreeing with OP's premise???
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ummm no...

[Article in German]

Abstract

I am at work, so that is the only one I had handy.

I will take it over WebMD any day of the week..

Are you agreeing with OP's premise???

If the OPs premise is that a) we should listen webmd unequivocally or b ) that meal frequency is important. NO, I don't agree (see the bold, above). Meal freq can have an influence in the lean individual, but it's really a minor element in weight loss.

It's next to useless as a factor in weightloss compared to other variables like calorie management and activity.

I think you are right in your critique, it's the article as evidence that I'm reserved on.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I must be special.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that the OP was arguing anything else. 'Boosts metabolism' = 'makes weight loss quicker/easier'. The OP is saying you'll burn more calories in the day if you eat more regularly, but they're not saying you can't lose weight if you don't eat regularly.

I merely posted articles that present ways to boost metabolism. There have been no posting of scientific proof contrary to the articles that I posted. One method may be a small boost, but small boosts add up to big boosts in metabolism.

No, they don't.
    What people actually do is implement two or three things.
    People should focus on the majors factors first not the minor possible things.

When the basement floods, focus on turning off the water and getting a sump pump going. Not sponging off the steps and walls. Bring in the dehumidifier last.

If peppers were such a great booster, we Mexicans, along with the Indians would be the lightest people on earth. Surprise, we aren't. It's a poor article and it focused breath and thought on the minors.

It's not that is right, it's that it's not even wrong.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There are nuggets of truth in the WebMD slideshow that are then extrapolated out to an exaggerated conclusion. Go through a series of bulk and cut cycles to build five pounds of muscle and cut a comparable amount of fat ... "boost your metabolism" at rest by 20 calories per day. EPOC ... grossly overstated when compared to what the science says. 8 glasses of water may help with hydration, but its magic number status was debunked long ago. And on and on with the slideshow.