Quest Protein bars making me sick

I didn't want to believe it because they taste so darn good but the Quest Protein bars are making me sick. Yesterday I had half of a vanilla almond bar and felt a slight headache and general floaty head feeling until I ate dinner and it went away. I wasn't sure if it was the bar so of course I decided to have an entire Cookie Dough flavored bar this morning for breakfast. I am full but the floaty head feeling is there now. I'm drinking water in hopes that it will go away. Does anyone else get similar feelings from these bars? I am not a protein bar person but I enjoy the taste every now and then so I am not sure if its just these bars or if others would give me the same effect.

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I have been eating Quest protein bars for over a year now and have never had any issues with them. If you find that they make you sick I would stop using them and find ones that you like better.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    I got a headache every single time I ate them. Felt yucky afterwards. I just had to stop eating them. Sorry. They are delish!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    I don't have any problem with them--I eat one nearly every day--but some flavors don't sit well with my 17-year-old daughter. I don't think she has the feelings you describe, just general GI uneasiness.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited May 2015
    I can only eat 1/2 a bar at a time; a whole bar will make me nauseous for a couple of hours.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I didn't want to believe it because they taste so darn good but the Quest Protein bars are making me sick. Yesterday I had half of a vanilla almond bar and felt a slight headache and general floaty head feeling until I ate dinner and it went away. I wasn't sure if it was the bar so of course I decided to have an entire Cookie Dough flavored bar this morning for breakfast. I am full but the floaty head feeling is there now. I'm drinking water in hopes that it will go away. Does anyone else get similar feelings from these bars? I am not a protein bar person but I enjoy the taste every now and then so I am not sure if its just these bars or if others would give me the same effect.

What else are you eating? If you are just eating a protein bar that's 190 calories in place of a meal you are likely headachey due to being hungry.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    This seems pretty simple. If something you eat doesn't agree with you, don't eat it. Fortunately, we live in a world with millions of food choices.
  • basscadet808
    basscadet808 Posts: 37 Member
    Oh I plan to stop eating them. I don't think the headache is from hunger. I eat pretty much all day long. Someone I spoke to over the weekend mentioned getting headaches from the sucrose, stevia, and things ending in "ides" in the ingredients. I thought she was just being sensitive until it happened to me as well. I was just curious to know if it was a common thing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    There is some sweetener that makes my mom sick. It might be sucralose. I could see that as being a problem with the bars.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Some protein bars tend to upset my stomach, but they've never given me headaches. And I suffer from chronic migraine.
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    I've worked out the sucrolose ones makes me ill. Nausea kicks in almost immediately.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    The fibre in them and the sugar alcohols cause plenty of issues with people.... They aren't that great that they're worth the discomfort!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    I used to eat protein bars all the time and also got a little queasy at times. I noticed it occurred more often with the protein bars I ate that were high in fiber as well (which Quest is), so it could be that you're not drinking enough water.
    But as others have pointed out, sugar alcohols could be the culprit, too. It could be a lot of things! If you're drinking more water with them and still experiencing this, I would recommend to stop eating them. If you're really curious you could always go to your doctor and get tested to see what exactly it is, but as long as it's not a huge problem you're having with other foods as well I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'd just take it easy on them.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    They make me feel terrible and like I just poured sweet and low down my throat.
  • SteveKeays
    SteveKeays Posts: 1 Member
    I just became aware of how sick protein bars were making me today,and lightheaded and dizzy ,like Ive never experienced before . Anyhow ,after realizing they were full of soy protein ,and researching how people react to soy with nausea ,and dizziness too,Ive decided that maybe this is the culprit. Heres the thread that I was reading,hope it helps someone else http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/86886-sick-from-soy/
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    I eat the Cliff Builders Bars. Much better than Quest. No headache.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    They make me sick, too, cause I find them to be gross.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    They recently changed their formula to include sucralose and soluble corn fiber in ALL of them. Many customers are getting sick and complaining now. They make me sick now too and I cannot stomach them. Look on there facebook at all the recent negative comments and comment to let them know how bad they are!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    They recently changed their formula to include sucralose and soluble corn fiber in ALL of them. Many customers are getting sick and complaining now. They make me sick now too and I cannot stomach them. Look on there facebook at all the recent negative comments and comment to let them know how bad they are!

this. i didn't get sick, but noticed right away once i ate one of their new formula bars - the taste was terrible.

Quest has failed to respond to or comment on the numerous complaints on their Facebook page, etc.. a loss for them since they're losing a ton of customers as a result, myself included.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    In some of them they changed the protein powder