Lost 20 Lb. have 40 more to go, is it too early to start toning?

jazzine1
jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
Hi everyone. I have lost a little over 20 lbs so far but still need to lose 40 more lbs. I haven't exercised since Feb and I am considering joining a gym to start working out I want to start toning since my skin is flabby. I can do cardio at home with the dvds but I was thinking of using the weights and the machines at a gym will be better for me since I have no experience on how to even begin a toning regime. I just want to get options if its worth joining a gym or can I get same results by buying some hand weight and dvds and doing it at home or should I focus on losing all the weight first and then begin toning? Thx!

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    edited May 2015
    Forget about the word toning, you need to start doing strength training so that you can keep as much muscle mass as possible while losing the fat.... Talk to a trainer at the gym about weight training, start as heavy as you can with good form, and enjoy!
    If you want to do it at home, ChaleneXtreme dvd's is a good way to learn form and basic moves at home. I started with her dvd's, tried starting strength and stronglifts, but was bored out of my mind with it, and have just completed the Body Beast program- have not been inside a gym in years....
  • jazzine1
    astrampe wrote: »
    Forget about the word toning, you need to start doing strength training so that you can keep as much muscle mass as possible while losing the fat.... Talk to a trainer at the gym about weight training, start as heavy as you can with good form, and enjoy!

Thank you!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Absolutely not

start lifting heavy now - preserve as much LBM as you lose weight as possible

Compound lifting programme like stronglifts 5x5, ice cream fitness
    Books like NROLFW or Strong Curves also good
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    astrampe wrote: »

This! It's never too early to start strength training.

And yes, lose the word "toning."
  • jazzine1
    Ok throwing the word toning out of my vocabulary :) Thank you.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Agree with all of the above. It's never to early to start strength training. (I wish I would have started sooner than I did.)

Suggested programs to look at:
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Ice cream fitness
    Strong curves
    New Rules of Lifting For Women
  • jazzine1
    edited May 2015
    So its better to join a gym and get with a personal trainer to start weight training vs trying to do it on my own at home?
  • nortonpc
    nortonpc Posts: 7 Member
    If you are like me you will feel way more comfortable at home. It also removes many of the excuses such as I am too tired to drive there. I do this workout 3x a week and it is more than enough to make me pretty sore. It may be worth starting here, sticking to that, and then getting a gym membership when it is more of a part of your routine, or want to swim, something that is hard to do at home.

Ignore the big huge guy in the video, he is a teddy bear, this is a beginners workout. You will not look like this by doing this work out :-) http://scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/
  • jazzine1
    edited May 2015
    nortonpc wrote: »
    If you are like me you will feel way more comfortable at home. It also removes many of the excuses such as I am too tired to drive there. I do this workout 3x a week and it is more than enough to make me pretty sore. It may be worth starting here, sticking to that, and then getting a gym membership when it is more of a part of your routine, or want to swim, something that is hard to do at home.

Ignore the big huge guy in the video, he is a teddy bear, this is a beginners workout. You will not look like this by doing this work out :-) http://scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/

Thank you so much. I personally feel by getting a personal trainer and having a training session scheduled I will stick to the commitment rather than if I'm doing it at home alone I can make excuses, just slack off, or say I'm too tired and will take the day off and then 1 day will lead to months. I have an appt today to check out a gym, I'm a single parent with 2 kids and this gym has child care so it may be perfect. It's now or never, I'm hating my wobbly skin and I'm assuming it will only get worst!
  • nortonpc
    nortonpc Posts: 7 Member
    It is the most important thing to know yourself. You know that the trainer will force you into a commitment. That is great. I wish you the best. Fill that skin with nice muscles! :smile:
  • jazzine1
    nortonpc wrote: »
    It is the most important thing to know yourself. You know that the trainer will force you into a commitment. That is great. I wish you the best. Fill that skin with nice muscles! :smile:

Lol YES! Thank you!!! :)
  • jazzine1
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Agree with all of the above. It's never to early to start strength training. (I wish I would have started sooner than I did.)

Suggested programs to look at:
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Ice cream fitness
    Strong curves
    New Rules of Lifting For Women

Thank you!
  • jazzine1
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Absolutely not

start lifting heavy now - preserve as much LBM as you lose weight as possible

Compound lifting programme like stronglifts 5x5, ice cream fitness
    Books like NROLFW or Strong Curves also good

Thank you!