Keeping the right mindset

Options
I go in spurts of having the right mindset to be healthy to not having the right mindset. I do have a high stress level life and ALOT of times this affects my mindset. I get stressed and then.... my give a damn is busted. My thinking is that its one less thing that I have to worry about when my plate is full and stress is through the roof. There are times when I can't even exercise without my kids being right in front of me or in the way during my in home workout.

What is your secret to keeping the right mindset in these times?

Replies

• stuartk75
    stuartk75 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's not easy. There are good days and bad days. I try and balance things out. I can get too obsessed and think about every calorie, but then I don't want to stop tracking and not think about calories at all.

And I'm trying to make things as easy and natural as possible. I need to be losing weight for at least 6 - 9 months, and I know people on here that have longer than that to go. If I can make my eating habits second nature, then it won't feel like a chore over the long term.

Also, eat that donut, piece of chocolate, slice of cake. Try not to over do it, but if you do, just log it and move on. You will lose more weight if you have 1 bad day and 6 good ones, than if you give up completely and have 7 bad ones. So just keep moving.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Having a rock solid why is so critical. Knowing why you're taking this journey and how it is going to improve your life really keeps you on point. Also, a great community is so helpful too. I help to run a great support and accountability group on Facebook for people looking to improve their health and fitness. It's just a bunch of people supporting and encouraging each other to make progress towards their goals. It's an awesome community. If you're interested in it, I'd be glad to chat with you about it.

Allan
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It's probably not that your give-a-damn is busted, it's just that you might not have enough of it right now.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I know we keep saying that exercise isn't required to lose weight, but this is why exercise is the distinguishing factor between people who lose weight and keep it off and those who gain it back. Exercise changes your attitude. When I have a bad attitude, I go ride a bicycle until my attitude improves.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I know I don't have all the answers because I certainly have my periods of backsliding. Between work, school and family needs I sometimes have difficulty catching my breath and stress becomes an excuse for eating things I know are counterproductive to my health goals.

I think the trick is to create good habits. Try to develop a routine that you can follow most days. This has been my strategy and it works. I have set aside time to exercise: Monday and Wednesday after work I lift weights with a buddy, Tuesday and Thursday before (summer) or after (winter) work I run 5K. I also run 6 miles or so at least one day on the weekend. After work is school time for a couple of hours each night. My house is never really clean but I'm making it all work. :smile: I try to make my lunches the night before work and to meal plan dinners on the nights it's my turn to cook.

If exercise is a problem then just try to focus on the eating habits for now and fit in exercise when you can. It's usually easier to work on developing one habit at a time, anyway.

If most of the time we're eating right and exercising then a day here and there of slacking and eating badly are fine.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i do a lot of races, so there is always something within a few weeks to keep me focused and on track.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My secret is that I have made it habitual. Its "just what I do" rather than "something extra I am trying to add to my day"

Took some time, but after a while consistent logging etc just became habit.
  • missnatlyn
    missnatlyn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My secret is that I have made it habitual. Its "just what I do" rather than "something extra I am trying to add to my day"

Took some time, but after a while consistent logging etc just became habit.

I like the idea of "its just what I do" I love to exercise, the hardest part is finding the time without being interrupted. I would love to get up early in the morning to exercise but I do not sleep well at night. I love my children dearly but they demand a lot out of me ... I.e. my 3 year old is up at least once a night, when I exercise they either need something or are fighting and I have to intervene, or they are RIGHT beside me when I exercise at home. My husband leaves at 5AM so leaving the house to go for a walk or run is out of the question in the morning.