Healthier Coffee Thanks to MFP

Options
DoreenaV1975
DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Until I started logging I had no idea how many calories were in my morning coffee! Thanks to MFP...I have now reduced my coffee from 165 to 72 calories! It took some tweaking to get it there.
I started at 165 and then went on to: 103, 100, 88, and now finally 72 calories!
I'm so excited! I admit, I can taste the difference... the original way I made my coffee did taste a bit better, but not so much better that I would go back to all that extra sugar and calories!
I realize it's a small victory but to me it's huge...I didn't want to have to give up my morning caffeine!
Just wanted to share!
I would love to "hear" similar stories of change if you'd like to share as well (doesn't just have to be about coffee)!

Replies

• DoreenaV1975
    edited May 2015
    Options
    :)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I used to just dump in my sugar and creamer and not care. NOW, I use better ingredients and measure. Using raw sugar made all the difference in the world for me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk helped me get my coffee down to 48 calories. Quarter cup of almond milk, one tablespoon of creamer...
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk helped me get my coffee down to 48 calories. Quarter cup of almond milk, one tablespoon of creamer...
    Ohhhhh...I'll try that. Thanks for the tip!
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ladybg81 wrote: »
    I am the same. I used to just dump in my sugar and creamer and not care. NOW, I use better ingredients and measure. Using raw sugar made all the difference in the world for me.

Isn't it amazing how fast things can add up!?!?!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Same thing here with tea :smiley: I started drinking Earl Gray with milk and sugar, probably about 100-125 calories and tried a few different things before settling on any of my varied collection of tea with Truvia and Benefiber. Now, it's 15 calories and also includes fiber! My morning drink of choice before any of it was Dr. Pepper in the can at 150 calories so I'd say 15 calories with no sugar and with added fiber is a good swap.

Kudos to you guys for improving your coffee, too! All those little changes add up in a big way.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Before starting, I would just pour creamer and dump 2 spoons of sugar in my coffee. Or open multiple packs of creamer and sugar and pour.

I eventually started measuring and realized that 2 tbsp of creamer is a good amount. I was able to go from 2 teaspoons, down to 1.5, then to 1, then .5.. then .25 (I was hanging onto that damn sugar lol) ... now I don't add any sugar, but I do use a flavored creamer. BUT It's now 60-70 calories, depending on the flavor I use!

BTW - a medium double double at Tim Horton's is 210 calories. And it's gross.
  • MaternalCopulator
    MaternalCopulator Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz says to use it as an enema... it's a great pick-me-up and helps to remove the evil toxinz. :P
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Just stepping away and saying no to the Starbucks coffee brought in by my boss made a major difference in my cals. Then I started making my on version minus all the sugar and creamer and flavoring they put in it and lost major cals. I'm so glad because I have become dependent on my coffee in the morning for my co-workers survival.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Dr. Oz says to use it as an enema... it's a great pick-me-up and helps to remove the evil toxinz. :P

I've heard that Dr. Oz is an "evil toxin" LOL!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Who would put good coffee in their butt rather than drinking it? @___@ awful.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    So, my coffee also was very high in calories. I got it down to 2 packets of Splenda only :)
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just stepping away and saying no to the Starbucks coffee brought in by my boss made a major difference in my cals. Then I started making my on version minus all the sugar and creamer and flavoring they put in it and lost major cals. I'm so glad because I have become dependent on my coffee in the morning for my co-workers survival.

I have 1 Starbucks every 2 weeks as a treat, but even w/ that I am learning to teak it a little now that I have seen how many calories are in one drink! Yikes! I have been studying their nutrition guide to see what I can do the next time I get one... It wont be as low as my homemade coffee, and that's okay because as I said it's my occasional treat, but it will be better!
  • belle_reve9
    belle_reve9 Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options

HAHA! You made me LOL.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options

HAHA! You made me LOL.

HAHAHA! I'm glad! :D
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    Same thing here with tea :smiley: I started drinking Earl Gray with milk and sugar, probably about 100-125 calories and tried a few different things before settling on any of my varied collection of tea with Truvia and Benefiber. Now, it's 15 calories and also includes fiber! My morning drink of choice before any of it was Dr. Pepper in the can at 150 calories so I'd say 15 calories with no sugar and with added fiber is a good swap.

Kudos to you guys for improving your coffee, too! All those little changes add up in a big way.

Yes...EXCELLENT swap! Good for you!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Who would put good coffee in their butt rather than drinking it? @___@ awful.

LOL! IKR?!?
    That is weird, but I've also heard that it's a good way to get rid of toxins, better than a regular enema which just unclogs you (which I guess is also a way of getting rid of toxins, right?), and I heard this from others besides Dr. Oz... So there must be something to it!
    But I will just stick to putting it in my mouth!

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    That's a big difference! Well done!
    I found that I enjoyed almond milk for cereal and oatmeal. It saves a few calories. I still drink whole milk as a drink, though. Like my milk.
    Substituting spaghetti squash for pasta when having a tomato-based spaghetti sauce is a nice change and very low calorie. It's not the same as pasta but it's tasty, filling and is a satisfying meal once in awhile.

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I too primarily use almond milk (unsweetened vanilla) to cut my coffee calories. I'm still struggling with sweetness issues - would love to stop using the creamers with Splenda but I try to minimize added sugar intake due to strong family history of diabetes and stevia does not cut it for me. I like flavored coffee but hate the artificial additives in many of them. I've been adding some raw cacao powder to my coffee grounds or cinnamon, which has helped me to reduce the amount of creamer I'm using.
  • InsanityForMe
    InsanityForMe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience! I use to drink three sugars in my coffee. When I started logging on mfp, I stopped the sugar and lost 2 pounds in one week with that as the only change...