Ideas for sweet things? Especially GF

jumblejups
jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
When I first came across MFP 2 years ago I remember there was a thread with loads of awesome sweet recipes but I can't find it or similar so help please!

I am good at savoury recipes (meals and snacks) but I've never been particularly good at making sweet things. As a result I end up eating some chocolate but I don't always actually want chocolate so it just ends up making me feel a bit sick :/ Not good. But I do want something sweet.

I can make things like banana bread and cookies but I can't eat gluten and I don't know how to bake GF (yet!). I made some peanut butter and banana oat cookies which were GF but for my husband, because I can't stand peanuts! I found the recipe and wanted to try it but I have no idea if I can just stick something else in there instead of peanut butter.

I have a recipe for GF brownies. I am guessing some sort of flapjack could work? (never made flapjacks before) I would also really like to find things that are relatively simple to make and could be stored or frozen so I can make a batch.

Btw, fruit is not enough :D Although I've heard frozen bananas are good... :#

Replies

• Slim2k
    Slim2k Posts: 57 Member
    Dunno where you're based, but we buy nak'd bars.

Ingredients:

Dates, cashews, raisins and cocoa.

Good for a treat every now and again.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    There are substitutes for flour that are gluten free. My husband bought by accident a large bag of gluten free flour a while ago (it was on sale and special promo packaging, so he did not notice it was gluten free, just thought it was new brand) and I used it for cakes and cookies. I did not notice a difference.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    If you have Instagram I would recommend looking up "jazzy things" and "chocolate covered Katie". Katie also has a website. Neither aim for gluten free. But jasmine is a "clean eating" bodybuilder and has tons of recipes using alternative flours (almond, rice, coconut, etc). Take a look and you'll get an idea of ingredients to use with these flours, and portions of wet and dry ingredients.

Katie is my favorite. She is vegan, but all her recipes can be made with regular or vegan alternatives. She has a "deep dish cookie pie" that is to die for and is gluten free. She uses a lot of beans and alternative flours as well, and often gives alternatives for all types of diets, including gluten free. Baked goods with beans tend to be disgusting. Not so with Katie's recipes. Good luck
  • jumblejups
    Thank you ! :)
  • jumblejups
    I tried Nakd but wasn't so keen, I know plenty of people who like them but one of the flavours coming through was too strong for me.
  • glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    I'm completely gluten free. If I bake, i do it with gf flour and use normal recipes. Usually turns out fine. just try it!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Flourless chocolate tarte is your friend. Also, I made some blueberry corn cakes that were pretty amazing. There are a ton of gluten free cookbooks on Amazon as well. To the google with you!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Two Ingredient Pancakes

Ingredients
    1 large banana (it should yield abt 1/3-1/2 cup, mashed)
    2 eggs
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional but recommended)

Instructions
    Heat a skillet on the stove top to medium heat. While pan is heating, mash banana well and then mix in eggs, and cinnamon. When pan is hot (water droplets should sizzle) Spray pan lightly with non-stick spray. Pour 2 tablespoons of batter at a time and cook until bottom appears set (30-60 seconds) flip with spatula and cook additional minute or less. Serve warm with butter and syrup. Yield: 10-12 3″ pancakes.
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    http://shows.stv.tv/this-morning/food/319575-phil-vickerys-gluten-free-banana-split-muffins/

This recipe was here on TV in the UK the other morning. It looked amazing.

You might not be able to see the video based on where you are but there is the recipe underneath.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    slaite1 wrote: »
    If you have Instagram I would recommend looking up "jazzy things" and "chocolate covered Katie". Katie also has a website. Neither aim for gluten free. But jasmine is a "clean eating" bodybuilder and has tons of recipes using alternative flours (almond, rice, coconut, etc). Take a look and you'll get an idea of ingredients to use with these flours, and portions of wet and dry ingredients.

Katie is my favorite. She is vegan, but all her recipes can be made with regular or vegan alternatives. She has a "deep dish cookie pie" that is to die for and is gluten free. She uses a lot of beans and alternative flours as well, and often gives alternatives for all types of diets, including gluten free. Baked goods with beans tend to be disgusting. Not so with Katie's recipes. Good luck

Definitely check out Chocolate Covered Katie. She has some really amazing looking desserts!

Also check out Against all grain.
  • jumblejups
    Thanks so much for all of the suggestions, it has helped a lot! I like sweet bean things so recipes including beans as a substitute look interesting to me, and I am all excited by Chocolate Covered Katie :D I'm off to get some gluten-free flour and beans and whatnot and get to work! Also looked at Against all grain and the first thing I spotted was zucchini bread, so I'm a happy bunny.
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    I tried some sun dried figs last night and they were awesome. They were very sweet, sort of reminded me of fig newtons (which I like very much). They are also gluten free.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Target has GF Cookies from WoW Company. They're soft and chewy and omg so good. I don't need GF, but they looked good so I tried them. I've had the Chocolate Chip, Lemon Burst and Snickerdoodle. Every single one of them was good.
  • jumblejups
    I have no idea what a snickerdoodle is but it sounds imaginative :D I'm in the UK and we don't have Target or WoW cookies, what I do have at my disposal is alright but not great <whimper>
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    jumblejups wrote: »
    I have no idea what a snickerdoodle is but it sounds imaginative :D I'm in the UK and we don't have Target or WoW cookies, what I do have at my disposal is alright but not great <whimper>
    Maybe you can buy them online? Not sure how feasible that is for you... here's the link on amazon... not sure if it's different for the UK..
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_grocery?_encoding=UTF8&amp;field-brandtextbin=WOW Baking Company&amp;node=16310101
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Target has GF Cookies from WoW Company. They're soft and chewy and omg so good. I don't need GF, but they looked good so I tried them. I've had the Chocolate Chip, Lemon Burst and Snickerdoodle. Every single one of them was good.

Oh, they are so super sweet, though!

OP, I'm GF, but except for brownies, I can't be bothered. I buy a box of gluten free Joe Joe's from Trader Joe's and the GF flavors of Talenti gelato, and I'm happy. I only have a baby sweet tooth.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    slaite1 wrote: »

Definitely check out Chocolate Covered Katie. She has some really amazing looking desserts!

Also check out Against all grain.

Awesome! Those are some great recipe blogs.
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    i dont eat grains and i make all of my stuff with coconut flour. check out the site paleo grubs for ideas - that's such a great website!

you can make chocolate chia seed pudding and blend if you don't like the texture of the chia seeds:
    2-3tbsp chia seeds
    1cup unsweetened almond milk
    2tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1tbsp maple syrup
    **(adjust the above measurements to preference - use more milk for a thinner pudding or less chia seeds for a thicker pudding)

place all ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake well. cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, stirring once after 1hr. yum!!