No chips, crackers, or fried food and still can't keep my sodium down!

2»

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Open your diary. My partner eats a lower sodium diet and we haven't found it hard to stay there as long as we home-cook most meals, so maybe I can offer some suggestions for substitutions.

The culprits yesterday were vegetarian chili and Asian salad, both over 1,000 mg.

Did you make them yourself, and use recipe builder (checking each entry it adds carefully to ensure it's all correct -- I usually find errors)? If so, which ingredients were the culprits? Adjust your recipe. (Or don't eat them on the same day again.)

Or did you just go looking for a database entry made by someone else and use it? If so... you have no idea how much sodium you actually ate, just how much sodium someone else ate when they ate THEIR vegetarian chili and Asian salad.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    I have no issues with sodium, other than on some days when I got way, way over the recommended milligrams I may retain a bit of water. I was stressing out when seeing the bright red number for sodium on my food diary I simply removed the category. Unless you have a medical issue that has been diagnosed by your MD, don't stress to much about it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Also, if you exercise regularly, you may want to be careful with how much sodium you cut...you'll start cramping up like no other. I often purposely drink pickle brine to combat this.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Do you have a medical condition that requires you to eat low sodium? If not, you will get very little benefit from eating low sodium. And as you can see, it's very difficult to eat low sodium.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    I don't monitor sodium in my diary, but if you do, you should be able to scan your diary and see where your sodium is coming from.

Chain restaurant food and canned and frozen foods tend to carry a lot of "hidden" sodium. Are you cooking your own meals? That's the easiest way to cut your sodium, just cook with less salt.

I wish that premium membership ranked my foods with sodium rather than just carbs, fat, protein, and calories. It would make it easier to monitor this.

I do cook, but often don't use salt at all. I rarely have canned foods and eating out is usually salad and soup.

Well there you go, that could do it! You would be surprised how much sodium is in salad dressing and restaurant soups :s
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Not sure how I'm doing it but my sodium is usually under 1600 feel free to browse my diary
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    You pretty much need to mostly cook your own food to keep sodium down if that is one of your goals.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    My recommendation is to enter your meals BEFORE you eat them so you can see how much your sodium will go up and then decide if you should still eat it or chose something else. This is my daily strategy for everything I eat.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Anything processed (think box, bag, can) is going to be high in sodium. However, unless you have a specific health problem that requires you to eat low sodium (like high blood pressure), you don't really need to worry about it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You are going to have to educate yourself to understand which foods have salt. The Asian salad screamed salt at me.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    I was put on a 2000mg diet and I stick to it 99% of the time. I just prelog and move things around til it is at or under 2000mg.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    I don't monitor sodium in my diary, but if you do, you should be able to scan your diary and see where your sodium is coming from.

Chain restaurant food and canned and frozen foods tend to carry a lot of "hidden" sodium. Are you cooking your own meals? That's the easiest way to cut your sodium, just cook with less salt.

I wish that premium membership ranked my foods with sodium rather than just carbs, fat, protein, and calories. It would make it easier to monitor this.

I do cook, but often don't use salt at all. I rarely have canned foods and eating out is usually salad and soup.

You don't need premium to track your sodium. I track my sodium here. I don't particularly care if I go over, but it's something I track for kicks and giggles. Just go to your settings.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You are going to have to educate yourself to understand which foods have salt. The Asian salad screamed salt at me.

Yup. And soup and chili is no slouch in the sodium department, unless you are making it at home from scratch. (and then sometimes it tastes terrible without tons of salt--looking at you, chicken noodle)

• AshleyCMoody
    AshleyCMoody Posts: 144 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »

We've always been able to track sodium in the diary. That setting is still there. Go into the Food tab and click "Settings." There are 5 options in the "Nutrients Tracked" list. Change one of those 5 to Sodium.

Thanks I didn't know about that!
  • AshleyCMoody
    AshleyCMoody Posts: 144 Member
    Open your diary. My partner eats a lower sodium diet and we haven't found it hard to stay there as long as we home-cook most meals, so maybe I can offer some suggestions for substitutions.

The culprits yesterday were vegetarian chili and Asian salad, both over 1,000 mg.
    Easy enough. Make from scratch. Substitute the canned beans for dry beans. I cook them in a crockpot and freeze them in pre-measured portions. They take no time to defrost. You can buy no-salt-added crushed tomatoes, and corn, if you add that to chili. Get fresh or dried chiles instead of canned. I don't know if you do a meat substitute in your chili, but TVP (textured vegetable protein) is very low in sodium.

Not sure what's in "asian salad" but my guess is the dressing with be a major factor. I would suggest making your own with a little lime juice, a touch of sesame oil, and fresh or powdered ginger and garlic. Slivered or sliced unsalted almonds, mixed greens, carrot, cucumber, and that should give you enough of a cushion to splurge on a small carefully weighed serving of the crunchy noodles, if you like those (and I do).

I usually eat a processed salad for lunch for ease. I have room to do this because I home-make my breakfast and dinner at low sodium levels like this.

In all seriousness, you have like five threads open asking for help. If you open your diary people will be able to give you more tailored advice rather than guesses.

Thanks I will do that!