I scream, YOU scream, WE ALL scream for ice cream!

Options
Ice cream has long been one of my favorite foods, especially when it's hot. I have decided to cut out ice cream because of the high calories, fat, and sugar, but it is a daily struggle. This will be day 5 with no ice cream. Is anyone else fighting this craving? How do you resist and what do you substitute if anything?

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I substitute gelato, which is slightly lower in fat and calories. Otherwise, what's wrong with ice cream? Calcium, wee bits of protein, and lots of deliciousness. I wait until the end of the day, and if I have managed to save 200 calories? I always reach for a nice 100g serving of gelato. YUM.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Give in to your cravings. Occasionally. But in moderation. As long as you record it, a half cup of ice cream isn't going to kill you.

I know that's hard, though. A few days ago I was craving pizza, and texted my wife about how hard it was. She replied that it is okay - a slice of pizza has 255 calories. I replied that I didn't want ONE STINKIN' SLICE of pizza!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - Are you really going to avoid ice cream for the rest of your life? I eat a serving of ice ream almost daily, and I have o issues losing weight, and my blood work is nearly perfect each year at my physical...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Most people moderate. Find an alternative.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you want to not eat ice cream anymore, try fruit popcicles. Oh and watch frozen yogurt nutrition because it can be very similar to ice cream.
  • AshleyCMoody
    AshleyCMoody Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I substitute gelato, which is slightly lower in fat and calories. Otherwise, what's wrong with ice cream? Calcium, wee bits of protein, and lots of deliciousness. I wait until the end of the day, and if I have managed to save 200 calories? I always reach for a nice 100g serving of gelato. YUM.

I saw a commercial for gelato. Never knew it was healthier. That stuff looks yummy!
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    individual servings of ice cream are my best friend. lucerne has an ice cream sandwich that is only 150 calories.
    skinny cow and weight watchers ice creams are low cal and one of my favorites is a Popsicle brand fudgesicle (either low fat or sugar free)
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm going to cold stone today and I'm going to get the like it instead of the love it size ;-D
    I just treat myself occasionally. I'd rather have a really delicious sundae every couple weeks or whatever than a small amount every day, but I don't personally crave sweets every day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I make room for ice cream when I really want it. Typically gelato too, or Edy's slow churned when I have less calories to spare. If I try to avoid something, I always end up binging the next time I have access to that food.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Just eat a serving of icecream. You don't have to make yourself miserable. You can still fit what you want into your diet, just watch your portions and track it.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    try this:

Breyers No Sugar Added Vanilla Ice Cream (80g)
    Campfire Mini Marchmallows (10g)
    Ghirardeli Milk Chocolate Chips (8g)
    2 Crushed Almonds
    Nestle Quick Chocolate Syrup (10g)

That's 198cal, 4p, 34c, 8f, 20s

i eat this almost every night. i think about it all day...

i like to add the chocolate chips and the marshmallows to the ice cream and stick it in the freezer for 5 minutes before adding the almonds and syrup.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    try this:

Breyers No Sugar Added Vanilla Ice Cream (80g)
    Campfire Mini Marchmallows (10g)
    Ghirardeli Milk Chocolate Chips (8g)
    2 Crushed Almonds
    Nestle Quick Chocolate Syrup (10g)

That's 198cal, 4p, 34c, 8f, 20s

i eat this almost every night. i think about it all day...

i like to add the chocolate chips and the marshmallows to the ice cream and stick it in the freezer for 5 minutes before adding the almonds and syrup.

or you could just have breyers cookie and cream for 140 grams per serving :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I get ice cream bars and cones since it's easier to limit myself.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I just measure out a serving and have ice cream. I'll freak out and eat pints and pints of Ben and Jerry's or Talenti if I don't. I just make sure I have 220 calories left at the end of the day so I can have ice cream (or chocolate, depends on what craving I am having.)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream on occasion and in an amount appropriate to my goals. I don't eat ice cream every day, but I usually have something nice for desert most nights.
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    Chocolate chip cookie dough. I make room for it my diet. Quite often.

Raw eggs = protein
    Chocolate = dairy

I can see a diet based on this alone!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Somehow a half cup serving is just too small for me. I generally have a cup.
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    Okay - a cup, then. Honestly, I don't know the serving size on the package (although remember - that is not what you HAVE TO eat. You can always have 1/2 a serving, or 2 servings). Although I used to be an ice cream fan - and we're talking many, many cups - I haven't craved it in months. No, pizza is more along the lines of my weakness. (And I HAVE had pizza a couple times - just not as the result of an intense craving, because, like I said, the cravings are not for a SINGLE PIECE of pizza - they're for the whole darned thing!)