weight loss help

Options
I been exercising 5-6 days a week. ELLIPTICAL mainly for 1 hour. Should i eat back all my claories becuase my goal right now is 1300 calories a day consume. MFP adjusts soemtimes and says i can still eat more cklaories that day after an exercise. Shouls i eat calories i burn back. Adaptive motion trainer very good machine combiniation of stair climber and ellipitical - can burn up to 500 calories in 40 minutes and 400 calories regular arc trainer. PLease help so i can see my scale drop.I started of at 180 in march now 175. I log everything i eat including candy.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Since you are only eating 1300 to start with, I would suggest eating back at least some of your exercise calories, or you risk not fueling your body properly.

That said, the calorie burns sound pretty high - I'd say start by eating back maybe half of them, and assess your results after a few weeks.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    once again machines calories burns is really overestimated. If having the correct exercise calories and using MFP to plug in calories burn then you would be able to eat 100% of exercise calories back.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Not all, because calorie burns are often greatly overestimated, whether on a machine or from MFP. Definitely eat some back, usually 50-75% maximum.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Good job on logging everything!

The machines and MFP tend to over estimate your calorie burns. I would suggest investing in a heart rate monitor. They can be more accurate. I have the Polar FT4, I think its like $60 on amazon.

If you are going to eat back your exercise calories I would suggest eating back 50-75%.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Do you know your TDEE? (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)? If not try here http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You can make adjustments once you have the information you need to make informed decisions. Most of us only eat back about 50% of the calories burned thru exercise simply because it's just not possible to get it exactly right and MFP over-estimates calories burned.

You've lost 5 pounds in roughly a month. That's pretty good and congratulations! You need to set your expectations realistically. While MFP gives you the option of losing "2 lbs a week", the truth is that it simply may not be realistic or sustainable over the entire duration of your weight loss process. Your body adapts. And as you lose weight, your caloric needs will change too. Weight loss is not linear. That's a hard one to accept btw.

Every decision you make about food and exercise will take you closer to your goal, make your loss stand still, or take you backwards. YOU control everything that goes into your mouth. You control what, how much, and when. This whole process is eye-opening, can be frustrating, and ultimately may be one of your proudest accomplishments. Don't quit!

One more thing, I weigh daily. That is a hot topic here on MFP. Everyone does it differently and every reason for the way they do it is a good one. I do it daily so that mentally it helps me to see the downward trend. Even if it ticks upward for a little bit, the overall trend is DOWN.

You can do this! Keep up the good work :)
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    TAG1219 wrote: »
    I been exercising 5-6 days a week. ELLIPTICAL mainly for 1 hour. Should i eat back all my claories becuase my goal right now is 1300 calories a day consume. MFP adjusts soemtimes and says i can still eat more cklaories that day after an exercise. Shouls i eat calories i burn back. Adaptive motion trainer very good machine combiniation of stair climber and ellipitical - can burn up to 500 calories in 40 minutes and 400 calories regular arc trainer. PLease help so i can see my scale drop.I started of at 180 in march now 175. I log everything i eat including candy.

One easy approach might be to cut your exercise cals in roughly half, bump your MFP target up, and log exercises as 1 calorie.

So if you *think* you burn 400-500 calories 5 or 6 times a week, call it 200 or 250, and add it to your target every day (even rest day). So let's be conservative and say 200. Set a custom goal in MFP to 1500. Do your workouts as usual. Log them, but change the calories burned to 1 (so that when MFP adds it back, it only adds 1 -- because you added it yourself when you set it to 1500).

Now you'll have a consistent calorie target, and you can workout without thinking too much about your burn. Just eat 1500, workout 5-6 days a week, and enjoy yourself.