Cheap, kinda healthy

MLouis1
MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
The Burger King kids meal is a $$ and calorie bargain. No, it's not really a meal, but good as an emergency snack. I get the plain hamburger, lowfat milk, and apples.

Replies

• ktorgers99
    ktorgers99 Posts: 16 Member
    I too try kids meals at various spots (eg, Subway, Chipotle); they can be a better caloric choice. I was refused at an airport once as I didn't have a child in tow. :)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    There's nothing healthy about fast food.

I disagree - first of all there are calories (aka life sustaining energy)
    second - there are protein, carbohydrate, fat, minerals, vitamins, etc. all of which serve functions in the body.

There may also be unhealthy aspects of fast food to consider when comparing to other options, but it's not 100% inherently unhealthy.

• rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    If you are stuck and have no options maybe.

I personally do not like to rely on premade items, or fast food as they really aren't that cheap compared to whole foods. $3.99 for a kids meal (roughly) for one meal.

For a couple dollars more I can get $3.97 for 2kg of rice (walmart) and a bag of frozen mixed vegetables ($2-$3) To me that seems a much smarter budget meal - mostly because you could probably easily make 4 or more meals and you are eating a far less processed product.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    The best value in kids' meals I've found is at Chipotle. You get two soft or crunchy taco shells and 3 toppings (one meat or guacamole), plus a small bag of chips or a piece of fruit, plus a drink which can be milk, juice or soda. Very good deal compared to the cost of their regular priced menu items, plus more calorie control. I like their salsas too much to do many kids' meals, but it's a great option that can be fairly healthy for the same cost as a McD's kids' meal.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    ktorgers99 wrote: »
    I too try kids meals at various spots (eg, Subway, Chipotle); they can be a better caloric choice. I was refused at an airport once as I didn't have a child in tow. :)

That's funny. I'm not sure if they let you do it anymore but you used to be able to pay $1.99 extra at Bob Evan's to get their kid meals.
  • MLouis1
    MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
    I'm going to check out Chipolte's kids meal!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    I prefer the grilled chicken snack wrap. in my mind it seems healthier and its about the same price
  • ktorgers99
    ktorgers99 Posts: 16 Member
    I should clarify. Subway/Chipotle sell kid's meals to anyone. I can't remember which airport brand the place was.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    I love the value items at Wendy's.