Eating Calories for exercise

I am currently trying to lose 15# and my daily calories (w/o exercise) is 1200 calories. Today I input my exercise and it gave me back 350 calories to eat. I want to lose weight and burn extra calories. Can I "not eat them" and will it eventually allow me to lose weight?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    The 1,200 calorie goal already has a deficit for weight loss built in. Since you burnt 350, you are getting more to ensure that your net calories don't go too low. If you want to work out, you need to fuel your body properly.

However, MFP's calorie burns can be over-estimated, so many people just eat a portion of those calories back.
  • di_tino
    di_tino Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    MFP is designed to eat them back, so consider 50-75% (allows room for miscalculations in logging and burns).
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    I don't find sense in eating those calories back,well they are supposed to be calculated in your total calorie eh day thing,well that's how I do it.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    The sense is in the fact that 1200 is a minimum.
    So when you burn a lot more than normal ( by exercising) you dont give your body enough nutrition back

And we are not talking about exercising for a couple hundred calories per exercise a couple times a week. But when you exercise regular over a 300 calories it sure is important to feed your body the nutrition it needs to do all this work.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2015
    I don't find sense in eating those calories back,well they are supposed to be calculated in your total calorie eh day thing,well that's how I do it.

@Katzedernacht There are days where I'd net 700-800 calories if I didn't eat my exercise calories back. Not a healthy way to go about weight loss.