Not eating due to stress

Options
Hey everyone!
when I'm really really stressed I tend to lose my appetite, where some people stress eat, I stress not eat. I was wondering if anyone else was like this too? and if anyone has any advice? like I don't like the actual act of eating when I'm stressed, so what do you suggest I eat? I know I need to eat something... Like what has a lot of calories and good nutrition but is small?
Thanks!

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Yes, me too. I was in a dramatic car accident in January and there was unfortunately a fatality. I lost 10 lbs in two weeks. The best you can do is eat calorie-dense foods in hopes of making up some calories. Things such as nuts, high calorie smoothies, avocadoes, etc. Hopefully it's just a phase and once the stress subsides you will be able to get back on track.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, nutella, protein shake with maybe a scoop of ice cream? This happens to me but usually only lasts a day or two.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    This happens to me also, especially during finals week (which is coming up. :# ). If it's only a few days or so, I don't really freak out. If it lasts a bit longer, I might try to get more calorie-dense food (peanut butter, nutella, full-fat meat, nuts, cookies filled with peanut butter) in just to bring me up to the 1200 mark.
  • RCnFinntastic
    RCnFinntastic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. At the worst times I can't get food in but find liquids tolerable so I make fresh juices or smoothies (with anything like fruit/veg/nuts/yogurt - just blend it up and get it in) or protein shakes... just to get the nutrition in. I'm also a runner so when the stress/anxiety is up I force myself out the door - even for a half hour or so. it helps reset the system and diffuse the stress. Endorphins are wonderful :) bonus is I'm often hungry afterwards! ... anyways, is obviously just a bandaid solution.... only real solution is addressing and eliminating the cause of the stress - good luck!
  • JoReddBowe
    JoReddBowe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My closest and longest friend is this way, too. Nuts, pepperoni sticks, full fat Greek yogurt are all small but protein dense. One strange suggestion: prepare a full, follow-the-recipe meal. My friend can't help but nibble at a meal if she put some time into it.
  • BluGnat
    BluGnat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was like this for two years while my husband (then fiance) was deployed. Unfortunately, I just survived (quite literally) on soda, since that was the only thing I could stomach without becoming nauseous. At 5'9", I was a really gross <120 lbs. The person that suggested the smoothies, I think, hit the nail on the head. That would've worked for me, anyway. Good luck! And FYI, all these years later, haven't had that problem since.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I also lose my appetite when I'm stressed but I don't worry about it, I simply don't eat if I'm not hungry. I know this sounds awful but I welcome the weight loss that comes from stressful times (not the stressful time, just the weight loss). It doesn't last forever. I know I won't starve myself to death. I make sure to get plenty of liquids in.
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Maybe high calorie drinks?